Recent divers in Margarita Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alovekamp

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dove in Margarita Island lately? I saw some posts from a couple of years back but am looking for some recent info.

Was last there in '99. Why do you want to go to Margarita? It's expensive, diving is middle of the road, and the current political situation in that country is BAD! Wife and I back packed around and dove for about a week in '99.. I would, personally, not go there now. I have relatives who live in Caracas and I grew up in Venezuela.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Was last there in '99. Why do you want to go to Margarita? It's expensive, diving is middle of the road, and the current political situation in that country is BAD! Wife and I back packed around and dove for about a week in '99.. I would, personally, not go there now. I have relatives who live in Caracas and I grew up in Venezuela.

Regards,

We wanted to do something different so we thought we would give this place a chance. We leave on July 29th for ten days. The trip is paid for and cost under $600 pp for FT airfare and hotel. As for the political situation, it is a chance we decided to take hearing from recent travelers that the island experience is not the same as the mainland and the tourism is MI is back up to 90% capacity. We may dive in Los Roques based on the reports I have heard about diving around the island. I will definitely post our experience when we return.

smokey braden:
is the m/v antares still a liveaboard in los rogues?
i dove with her a few years back.

The M/V Antares was bought by Peter Hughes in '90 and renamed the Antares Dancer. Due to political unrest and fuel shortages, it permanently ceased operations in late Dec of '02.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

alovekamp:
Has anyone dove in Margarita Island lately? I saw some posts from a couple of years back but am looking for some recent info.

I live in Venezuela and also do not think Margarita is such a good place to go diving in Venezuela. I would say Los Roques is the best place to dive in my country. I would recommend Sesto Continente, a local operator in Margarita. In case you want to go diving in areas surrounding Caracas and can suggest you some other options.

Hi
I´m since a week back from a diving holiday in Isla Margarita. It was great, but if i can give you a tip, take your own equiptment with you, not everything can be called good. Some things, like your mouthpiece kan be broken. I´ve seen that many times.
Diving in Los Roches i can recommend, good visualbility and a nice scenery

greatings

Did you fly to Los Roques? We would like to go there for a day if possible which would mean we could not fly and dive. Do you know of any boat operators that take trips to Los Roques or is it too far?

undefined
alovekamp:
Did you fly to Los Roques? We would like to go there for a day if possible which would mean we could not fly and dive. Do you know of any boat operators that take trips to Los Roques or is it too far?

There are not direct flights from Margarita to Los Roques. You have to fly back to Caracas and then take a small plane that will deposit you in Los Roques archipelago in 35 minutes. The boat ride from Margarita to Los Roques is long, rough and I don´t know of any commercial boat doing it.

My recomendation, again, is contact any of the local operators in Los Roques and try to make the arrangements with them. Sesto Continente www.scdr.com is one option.

Regards,

Margarita Island has Up`s and Down’s in diving conditions. But it is a good place to join a couple of dives with a good dive guide. If you need more Info / Photos / about diving and travelling around Isla Margarita let me know by e-Mail. Or visit in Google: scubadiving-margarita, biggest Info-Web for diver!
Next time take the airplane to Los Roques - you don`t feel so sick. Direct flights form Isla Margarita with: LTA, Rutaca, Sasca and some more! Prices about 130-150.-$us roundtrip, + Nationalpark entring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom