Belize or Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
undefinedMy family and I are planning a trip to Central America next summer and I want to include a week of diving/snorkeling/beach relaxing. I was originally thinking of Roatan because we'll be in Honduras for part of our trip. But one person told me she'd not had the best diving experience there: dark green water and few fish. Also, my wife and youngest son (8) are not divers (but like to snorkel) and I'm concerned that the Roatan sand fleas might be too much of a nuisance. I've been reading up on Belize: especially Caye Caulker but also Ambergris Caye. We prefer a quiet atmosphere and there are some private house rentals there that seem pretty nice. One concern: in Cozumel and Kauai the snorkeling was right at the beach and therefore not the hassles or expense of a half-day boat snorkeling trip like it is out to the reef in Belize. Thanks for any suggestions! (This is my first post so I hope I've done this right!)

We have never dove Belize but been to Roatan and Utila twice. For you I think Utila might be better. A little town to explore, better beaches, fewer sand fleas and (IMHO) great diving. Utila ranges from Whale Sharks to great micro and lots of soft corals. Check out the Utila Lodge.

coloradodiver:
(Roatan) But one person told me she'd not had the best diving experience there: dark green water and few fish.

You have many questions, concerns and possible solutions. I will, however answer your concerns as above...

Roatan is like a big elephant being described by several blind men who had the chance to touch it. One said it was like a tree trunk, the other said it was like rope, another said it was like a snake... Roatan depends upon where one dives- as well as the individual's prior experience.

For newer divers, the experience can be disappointing. The beginner diver is quite excited by Sea Cucumbers and Squirrel Fish, absolutely lacking the visual acuity to see the Eagle Ray that just swooped by. You may direct them to the Pedresen Cleaning Shrimp that inhabit the Spiral Anemone... they may notice the anemone- maybe not. Larger, contrasty stuff that moves is easier to see (Crabs, Lobsters are a great example)

Roatan is for divers who have mastered buoyancy and have no issues in regards to gluing themselves to their (skilled) DM. There are few larger critters to see. Pick your DM with care and stick to them like glue. Buy and use a 10x magnifying glass... bring a flashlight.

Once you do that, you are ready to be introduced to a wonderful world of macro critters!

The clarity of the water? It isn't Cayman, but if you avoid developed areas after a rain fall, it can easily be 65-85 feet. You only need a few feet to see the cool little stuff :wink:

coloradodiver:
undefinedMy family and I are planning a trip to Central America next summer and I want to include a week of diving/snorkeling/beach relaxing. I was originally thinking of Roatan because we'll be in Honduras for part of our trip. But one person told me she'd not had the best diving experience there: dark green water and few fish. Also, my wife and youngest son (8) are not divers (but like to snorkel) and I'm concerned that the Roatan sand fleas might be too much of a nuisance. I've been reading up on Belize: especially Caye Caulker but also Ambergris Caye. We prefer a quiet atmosphere and there are some private house rentals there that seem pretty nice. One concern: in Cozumel and Kauai the snorkeling was right at the beach and therefore not the hassles or expense of a half-day boat snorkeling trip like it is out to the reef in Belize. Thanks for any suggestions! (This is my first post so I hope I've done this right!)

Coloradodiver,

I agree with MJH, in principal. There are currently three all-inclusives on Utila. The newest is Deep Blue Resort. It is located on the shore on three of the best dive locations on the island. They can be snorkled right from the lodge. Laguna Beach resort is nearby and also offers snorkling. Both are very nice and removed from the village activity. Utila Lodge, does not have as much to offer as far as snorkling goes. It is located within the village and has been in business the longest of the AI's. Since you plan on being in Honduras anyway, it would be simple to take the ferry from La Ceiba to Utila....about 45 minuted ride, AC, snack bar and movies. All can be checked out on the web. You can contact Steve or Jas at Deep Blue, a British family and very accomodating.

Regards,

coloradodiver:
undefined I've been reading up on Belize: especially Caye Caulker but also Ambergris Caye. We prefer a quiet atmosphere and there are some private house rentals there that seem pretty nice. One concern: in Cozumel and Kauai the snorkeling was right at the beach and therefore not the hassles or expense of a half-day boat snorkeling trip like it is out to the reef in Belize. Thanks for any suggestions! (This is my first post so I hope I've done this right!)

I haven't spent much time on Caye Caulker but San Pedro isn't exactly a "quiet atmosphere". It was more of a party town even three years ago when I lived there and since then I've visited and it's grown even more. I found Coco View on Roatan to be much more quiet. The west end of Roatan seemed more like San Pedro though. For just diving and not looking for anything else, I'd say Roatan has more to offer.

I've been to both Belize and Roatan, and from what you have said in your post I would recommend Placencia, Belize. It has a nice beach (nicer than Ambergris Caye) and is a much more charming town than San Pedro. You'll find a pretty good array of accomodation and restaurants; check out this site:

http://www.belizenet.com/

The diving is good, and you can even do the Blue Hole trip from there. In between two local dives, just offshore from Placencia, we stopped for lunch on a tiny caye with a beautiful beach and wonderful snorkeling. (When we, the 3 divers, arrived, there was a group of snorkelers there as well). The DM made a great lunch for us, cooked in a sand pit! (Same had happened on the Blue Hole trip, which we did from Ambergris). Your wife and youngest might have to boat out to snorkel, but it's a great daytrip, and no sand fleas.

From Placencia you can also do some fun land-based activities, such as a boat trip up the Monkey River and a canopy tour in Blue Creek. (This is not a zip wire tour; they have bridges that you walk over while attached to a safety harness). What impressed me most about the boat tour (compared to one that I've been on in Costa Rica) is that it was a very small boat with just 4 tourists and a local guide. And the tour included a small hike - to better mingle with monkeys - and lunch in Monkey River Town). Overall you can get a klot of exposure to Mayan and Garifuna culture in this area. And the Jaguar Preserve is also nearby. =)

Good luck deciding!

mjh:
We have never dove Belize but been to Roatan and Utila twice. For you I think Utila might be better. A little town to explore, better beaches, fewer sand fleas and (IMHO) great diving. Utila ranges from Whale Sharks to great micro and lots of soft corals. Check out the Utila Lodge.
mjh,
Thanks for the info. I've given Utila a second read in some guidebooks since I read your message Friday night and it does sound very appealing. Could you describe the beaches a bit more: much wave action?, steep or gradual, long connecting beaches or pockets of beaches, lots of tide or not much (that may be a dumb question but I really don't know) etc. My sons adore just playing in the sand and playing in the waves when those exist. Is the snorkeling any good right off the beach? When we were in Jamaica there was a coral reef within a hundred feet of shore and lots of fish among the coral. In Cozumel and Kauai the snorkeling was incredible even though there wasn't much coral super close. Off of Akumal, there were some fish but the snorkeling was pretty disappointing. Thanks for any more input you might have.
Tom(coloradodiver)

RoatanMan:
coloradodiver: (Roatan) But one person told me she'd not had the best diving experience there: dark green water and few fish. [QUOTE:
You have many questions, concerns and possible solutions. I will, however answer your concerns as above...

Roatan is like a big elephant being described by several blind men who had the chance to touch it. One said it was like a tree trunk, the other said it was like rope, another said it was like a snake... Roatan depends upon where one dives- as well as the individual's prior experience.

For newer divers, the experience can be disappointing. The beginner diver is quite excited by Sea Cucumbers and Squirrel Fish, absolutely lacking the visual acuity to see the Eagle Ray that just swooped by. You may direct them to the Pedresen Cleaning Shrimp that inhabit the Spiral Anemone... they may notice the anemone- maybe not. Larger, contrasty stuff that moves is easier to see (Crabs, Lobsters are a great example)

Roatan is for divers who have mastered buoyancy and have no issues in regards to gluing themselves to their (skilled) DM. There are few larger critters to see. Pick your DM with care and stick to them like glue. Buy and use a 10x magnifying glass... bring a flashlight.

Once you do that, you are ready to be introduced to a wonderful world of macro critters!

The clarity of the water? It isn't Cayman, but if you avoid developed areas after a rain fall, it can easily be 65-85 feet. You only need a few feet to see the cool little stuff :wink:
Dear Roatanman,
Thanks for a good picture of diving in Roatan. As far as our experience level: my 13 year old will be diving for the first time after doing his certification here in Colorado in the early summer, my 17 year old has done 21 dives (2 near San Diego and all the rest in Cozumel), and I've done 28 (also been to Kauai and Jamaica). So we're beginners to intermediate but 2 of us with reasonable buoyancy control (I'd like to think). We went to Cozumel's drift driving as near and total beginners and handled the drift diving OK which I'd been told wasn't recommended for beginners (I guess I like a challenge). I always have loved DMs who point out a lot of stuff. So from your description it seems like there'd be lots of stuff for us to enjoy.
Are both Roatan and Belize pretty similar to Cozumel as far as animal life and coral formation or is Roatan more different?
Thanks again,
Tom(coloradodiver)

Cudabait:
Coloradodiver,

I agree with MJH, in principal. There are currently three all-inclusives on Utila. The newest is Deep Blue Resort. It is located on the shore on three of the best dive locations on the island. They can be snorkled right from the lodge. Laguna Beach resort is nearby and also offers snorkling. Both are very nice and removed from the village activity. Utila Lodge, does not have as much to offer as far as snorkling goes. It is located within the village and has been in business the longest of the AI's. Since you plan on being in Honduras anyway, it would be simple to take the ferry from La Ceiba to Utila....about 45 minuted ride, AC, snack bar and movies. All can be checked out on the web. You can contact Steve or Jas at Deep Blue, a British family and very accomodating.

Regards,
Cudabait,
Wow! This is super helpful information. I definitely will check out those places. Do you know if there is windsurfing at Deep Blue or Laguna Beach? I guess I "want it all"!
Thanks for your help.
Tom(coloradodiver)

Hank49:
I haven't spent much time on Caye Caulker but San Pedro isn't exactly a "quiet atmosphere". It was more of a party town even three years ago when I lived there and since then I've visited and it's grown even more. I found Coco View on Roatan to be much more quiet. The west end of Roatan seemed more like San Pedro though. For just diving and not looking for anything else, I'd say Roatan has more to offer.
Hank49,
Thanks for the help. How about windsurfing in Roatan compared to the Belize locations? I've read that the sandfleas can be a problem in Belize as well as in Roatan. For just hanging out on the beach are they manageable with Deet or do they drive you nuts?
Tom(coloradodiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom