Anyone ever get sick in Honduras???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humdiver

Reaction score
I can feel winter sneaking up on me and thinking of a quick trip to honduras to one of those all inclusive dive resort packages from Scuba Dive Mag. Wondering if anyone has ever gotten ill on a trip to Honduras like hepatitis,malaria, or yellow fever . not a big believer in vaccines but yellow fever is very real. Has anyone ever taken their kids to Honduras? Im thinking the Roatan or what ever all you good people suggest!!

humdiver:
I can feel winter sneaking up on me and thinking of a quick trip to honduras to one of those all inclusive dive resort packages from Scuba Dive Mag. Wondering if anyone has ever gotten ill on a trip to Honduras like hepatitis,malaria, or yellow fever . not a big believer in vaccines but yellow fever is very real. Has anyone ever taken their kids to Honduras? Im thinking the Roatan or what ever all you good people suggest!!
I was at the BIBR (Bay Island Beach Resort) on Roatan. They used well water for everything and I had no issues (and neither did any of the other guests)..but YMMV

I stayed at Lost Paradise Hotel and dived with Native Sons dive shop in West End Village. I had the best time ever, and never got sick! I like all inclusives myself, but it is a lot of fun when you can really mingle with the locals (and the expats) and appreciate their lifestyle also.

I was there with my children in 99. We stayed with another missionary family and we all got sick. Well, just the normal stomach problems, nothing to worry about. We didn't have any shots ahead of time. IMO, in the resorts you have little to worry about. Killing the customers is bad for business :)

humdiver:

We stayed at BIBR in 1995 and met another couple there. He was hospitalized for 10 days with malaria as soon as they returned home. Their friend with them was sick from something else while there. We thought CCV did a much better job with bug control--styed there and had no problems. But we knew of someone who got sick from the food (that was Xmas 1994).

Robin

humdiver:

Yes, travelers to the Honduras, including the Bay Islands, including Roatan, do contract a number of infectious diseases.

Your two primary worries on Roatan are traveler's diarrhea and malaria. At present, the CDC is not recommending yellow fever vaccination for travel to Roatan.

As regards the TD, you may wish to read the following my rather detailed article on the topic in the Apr '02 issue of "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org.

If you are not a subscriber, you could read this adapted article from my March '00 "Ask RSD" column in Rodale’s "Scuba Diving":

Most travelers to Roatan report no problem with diarrhea. If concerned, the first step is watching what you drink. Major hotels and restaurants use purified tap water and ice--if in doubt, ask. Many supply bottled water free, and it can be purchased almost anywhere--domestics are the best buy. For extra care, brush teeth/rinse toothbrushes with it. Bottled beverages are generally very safe, but avoid unpasteurized products. Lime or alcoholic spirits may make drinks tastier and more fun, but don't count on them for protection.

Watch what you eat: (1) avoid or work your way up to greasy, fatty and spicy foods, and items you are not used to; (2) eat only fruits and vegetables which have been peeled/ thoroughly washed, and best to stick with the well cooked; (3) things like steak tartare, ceviche and raw shellfish can be inviting trouble; and (4) pass on street vendors and places that appear unhygienic.

If you are susceptible to traveler's diarrhea, starting Pepto-Bismol several days before and throughout the trip can be quite helpful, although this compound may not be well tolerated by some (e.g., those who do not tolerate aspirin), should not used with certain other drugs, and is not intended for long term use.

Many physicians caution individuals against taking antibiotics preventively without a sound reason. If your diarrhea is caused by something other than a microorganism, or by one which is not targeted by or resistant to the antibiotic being taken, the drug simply make things worse. Antibiotics used to prevent and treat some types of diarrhea include Septra, Bactrim, Vibramycin, and Cipro. These are not medications to be used without physician consultation, even if some can be purchased in Mexico without a prescription. They can cause a severe or fatal allergic reaction, and some can cause sensitivity to the sun, sometimes extreme; special precautions need to be taken when using them.

If you are stricken, some experts recommend seeking medical attention if the diarrhea lasts more than two days, or is accompanied by fever, headache or bloody stool. Pepto-Bismol is also used for the treatment of diarrhea, although under a more aggressive regimen. Along with the antibiotics mentioned above, other medications given for the control of symptoms include Lomotil (prescription only in the US), and the over the counter product, Imodium, although they can cause complications in those with serious infections, and may even prolong the course of the illness while controlling some of the features. Prescription antidiarrheals are also not to be used without physician consultation.

Diarrhea by its very nature results in fluid loss, drugs like Lomotil and Imodium can be drying. Plus, many manufacturers recommend that water be taken liberally while on antibiotics. If you get ill, drink plenty of water & sports drinks, even more if taking medication.

It is a good idea to hold off on diving until you’re more troubling signs & symptoms have passed, and, if you are taking medications, until you can assess what side effects, if any, you are going to experience.

There is no reason to fear diarrhea on Coz given common sense measures. If you take any medications, understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions. Should you be stricken on Roatan, there is a clinic well versed in treating the disorder--your hotel can direct you."

Since that was written, there is a new medication of which you may wish to be aware:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/drug_for_td_approval_2004.htm

Concerning malaria, I have an article focusing on this disease (Roatan included) in the soon to be mailed Oct '05 of "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org. It contains what you need to know.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom