Souther carribean costa rica/ north carribean panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dock:
Ill eb down ther next week... looking for info on dive conditions or for anyrecomendation of where to go scuba or otherwise... any advice appreciated!

Hi Dock,

I've been looking into this myself and what I've found is that most of the good diving is on the Pacific side.

On the Caribbean side you can dive around Bocas del Toro and Portabello in Panama. Fish life above average. I do know that diving on the Pacific side up in the north west corner of Costa Rica is suppose to be good and diving around Coiba in Panama is suppose to be very good. Santa Catalina is the base although it is primarily a surfers hang out, accomodations good but simple. There is a liveaboard the MV Coral Star that goes out of there. If your into fishing, Panama pacific side is the best in the world. Not sure if you want to or have time to get to the pacific side but I am sure it would be well worth it. I've got tons of recommendations for Panama but not many for Costa Rica.

I'm glad to post some web site links although i didn;t really answer your question, good luck and have fun. Post a report when you get back !

Deano2:
Hi Dock,

I do know that diving on the Pacific side up in the north west corner of Costa Rica is suppose to be good

Just got back last week. Dove 2 days at Catalina island up on the northern pacific coast. A lot of large animal life including white tip sharks, sting rays, eels and a manta. A few nice sized fish schools too.

BUT, BUT, visibility was only 30 feet. The DM's and people at the dive shop said 30 ft vis. is typical although it could vary from 10 ft. to 70 ft. Water temp was 73.

Diving was definitely worth while, but I wouldn't go there just to dive. For me, the vis was too low to warrant a dedicated dive trip. There are plenty of other activities to keep you occupied like tours to hot springs, volcano, rainforest, canopy tours etc..

Dock:
Ive already done the whoe pacific; i NEED SOME TROPICS. Not a dedicated dive trip, but Ill hop in while im there and tell y'all about it.

Hi Dock,

Well?!? Don't be shy, share. How was the diving, especially in/on Coiba? I'm planning on going to Panama next year Jan so anything you can share would be great.

Tropics, well that's a different question. Head to Indonesia, it's great and cheap (not counting airfare). Although a wee bit far from the caribbean you won't be dissappointed.

Hope to hear from you.

Deano2

The diving around Bocas Del Toro is medicore ar best. The owner of the dive shop told us"people dive for something to do when they are here....they dont come here just to dive". Visibility can be a big issue here as there are a lot of rivers that run into the surrounding bay. Vis can be poor after rains. It rains alot. That said.....if it is not a dedicated diving trip,you might find it to your satisfaction. Intersting area with lots to do. Pretty laid back atmosphere. I really enjoyed the area topside. If you are excpecting world class diving,you will be disappointed. If a few casual dives are what you after with a great place to kick back and enjoy the surroundings and people, I would highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom