Diving in the Czech Republic, am I crazy?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art-shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so i have been living in the czech republic for the last 6months,
for those who don't know where the czech republic is,
it is bordering germany and austria, a nice land locked country in central europe!

but that doesn't seem to stop the czech people, i heard that they are big fans of diving
and most of the divers make their way to croatia in the summer for dive holidays.

but what are some local dive sites, what can i expect?
the summer season is just around the corner and i would like some help.

i know that a lot of the diving is in freshwater lakes, dams, and quarries...

i have one website that is in czech but can be translated using
the good old google web translator.

i am located in the "central Bohemia region"
below is the translated website

Translated version of http://www.stranypotapecske.cz/lokality/default.asp

so i just wanted some thoughts or feedback, maybe some additional info...
thanks everyone :)

Im living in Prague, so i don't think there is much here but hopefully that doesn't stop me.

I read somewhere that there is a small town that sank, and u can still see the top of the church tower, that sounds pretty cool. i think it's near Orlik?

Also what sort of suit would i need? how thick?

Have you done a lot of diving in Czech?

Thanks for your help.

Actually I did quite a lot of diving there before I moved closer to the sea ;-). But I was located in northern bohemia. Definitely contact Happy divers. I have great experience with them and I know they do some trips to nice places. By the way they do a trip to divecenter where I work in Croatia in next few weeks :) And both owners speak good english. If you would talk to them say hello from Michal - we spent some time together in Croatia and Thailand...

Right now you could use 7mm long with 5-7mm short or preferably dry suit. Water is still really cold. During summer you can dive with 5mm wetsuite pretty fine as long as you don't go deep.

The church and stuff is all in Orlik. There are some divecenters so try contacting them, because I doubt you would be able to find those interesting places. And don't forget most of these places are quite deep (40-60m).

Other good places are Barbora, Lom Jesenny (best "gulash" you can get:)), Borek, Lestinka, Vykleky, Lomecek etc. I haven't been to all of these places, but I meet a lot of divers so these are what they mention the most.

You can also do reasonable diving in Austrian lakes (Attersee, Gossau see, Hallstadt see - not sure about spelling) or in Germany close to Dresden (about 50 km from CZ - GER borders are Horka, Wetro, Prelle, Konigschein). There are many minesweeps with pretty good visibility and some attractions.

Hello art-shark,

You can find a lot of good diving locations in czech republic and most of them are on stranypotapecske.cz (I think best site about diving in Czech rep.).

To Orlik from Prague it's about 80 km. I have done there some dives. There are a lot of afloated houses and stuff. I can recommend you : gamekeeper's lodge Spálenka(httphttp://stranypotapecske.cz/lokality/lokaldet.asp?Nazev=Orlick%E1+p%F8ehrada+%2D+h%E1jovna+Sp%E1lenka) or SeychellesStrany potápìèské - vše o potápìní - Orlická pøehrada - Seychelles.
If you are more experienced you can dive on the church TěchniceStrany potápìèské - vše o potápìní - Orlická pøehrada - kostel Tìchnice but I heard that there is always very low visibility.

I dive with Potapko. They have base in Village Trhovky and they have good services and from the base it's close to all these interesting dive sites. potapko.cz - Zájezdy - Základna Orlík - under the red text is link to video from Orlik.

If you are interested in diving in the Czech Republic, take a look at Diving in Czech Republic

You can find there some information about diving in Czech Republic, some diving localities, some famous Czech divers, Czech producers of diving gear and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom