Greece Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacoRocco6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've done a little searching and haven't found a lot of information on diving in Greece. If anyone could provide me with some links to good resources on diving in Greece it would be much appreciated. I am aware that scuba diving in general is new to Greece since it was severely restricted prior to 2005. Trying to find out which island has the best reef diving with the most marine life. I've mainly read about caves and swim-through diving and wreck diving in Greece, which I do enjoy, but haven't found a lot of information regarding marine life or whether any islands have a decent reef. I'd love to know if any areas see pelagics on a regular basis.

Ideally, I'd like to find a small, non-touristy island with decent reefs and marine diversity. Shore diving would be a major plus as well. I understand Greece might just not have any as the Mediterranean is not the Caribbean or the Red Sea, but with over 200 inhabited islands I feel that it is a distinct possibility.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Gary at Blue Island Divers, Antiporos. https://www.facebook.com/pages/BlueIsland-Divers/376430651770
My experience is that marine life is almost absent in the Mediterrean, including Greece waters. But, the diving can be fun. Been diving with Gary as a novice OWD a few years ago, and also in Peloponnes(Ermione, Kallianos Diving). Nice diving both places, but not as many different species around. Lots of octopus and small, black fish..) It's possible to see dolphins if you're lucky. I would say Antiparos is the better of the two...
Also been to Sicily, not to much to see. The best diving can be found on Malta....been there twice.
Antiparos has caves & wreck(s?).

The Mediterranean cannot compete with the Red Sea as far as colour and diversity is concerned but it does offer some really nice diving sites.
I visited Zakynthos and dived with Home - Nero-Sport Diving Center - Zante / Greece and had a great time! They go out by boat. I f you want to see turtles there you will have to go at the end of July or the beginning of August.

The nicest Greek waters are not in the Mediterranean but in the Aegean sea. Visibility is awesome there. Unfortunately there is very little to see due to overfishing. Scuba diving is pretty popular in the Greek islands (e.g. Rhodes) and you will find a dozen of operators along the harbour. Don't forget a good line cutter. A kid threw a net almost over my head once... well inside the swimming zone.

The Zenobia in Cyprus is a great wreck dive. Not sure of the coral or marine quality of other dive sites though. The wreck itself seems to be the major attraction.

Happy diving :)

I've narrowed down my choices to Alonissos & Zakynthos.

Alonissos has the nation's oldest marine park & is overall quiet and small.

Zakynthos has Greece's second oldest marine park but is much larger and I fear very crowded in July and August when I plan on going.

Both islands appear to have good diving.

Any further recommendations? How does diving in the Ionian sea differ from the Aegean? Is one noticeably warmer than the other? I've found quite a few Zakynthos dive reports but none for Alonissos...anyone been there?

Hello from Greece,
diving in Greece can be a lot of fun but don't expect to see much of marine life.
Mediterranean is not red sea.
The diference between Aegean and Ionian is that the first is a little bit warmer with not so deep waters,
while the second is an open sea with with deep,relatively colder waters than Aegean and more pelagic life.
If you are planning to come on July or August the islands are overcrowded.
Zakynthos is a relatively big island with all the touristic facilities,
while Alonisos located on the North of the Aegean is not so developed,
that's why you didn't find many reports.
So if you want something quiet go for Allonisos.
Both of the islands are green in comparison with the rocky cyclades islands.
I believe whatever you choose you are gonna have a lot fun.

Back
Top Bottom