Jim Abernathy's Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone dove with Jim Abernathy's Scuba adventure? [SIZE=-1]http://www.scuba-adventures.com My husband wants to do a Shark trip with them but haven't heard anyone talk about them. I would love to go as I don't notice anyone else offer that. My problem? Im a puke-girl. Im afraid since the boat is only 65', that it is going to be difficult for me. I would love to try Nexton but they don't offer anything like this.:shakehead:
so, 1. has anyone dove with them and how did you like them? 2. How was the rockin'? 3. Did you see plenty of Sharks?

Thanks,
Jill
[/SIZE]

I've been on Jim's boat several times. It's not a luxury live-aboard but is very functional for the trips he does. The crossing from West Palm to West End, Bahamas can sometimes be rough but it's only a 4 hour trip and usually overnight. The weather in the summer is usually more dependable though you don't get the great hammerheads then. Most of the time there are protected areas to get out of the weather once you are in the Bahamas, at least for the Shark or Shark/Dolphin trips. The new itinerary for Oceanic Whitetips requires a longer "steam" and I haven't been on that trip so I can't comment.

The boat itself is relatively small compared to the luxury liveaboards but, again, is very functional. There is a "salon" with TV and DVD player that is also the dining area. It has lots of charging areas for laptops, cameras, batteries, etc. Below this deck are three two person cabins (bunk beds) and a "group" area all the way forward with 6 bunks. There are two community bathrooms, i.e. there are no private in-room bathrooms.

Overall, it's always a great trip. If you go to the website (www.scuba-adventures.com) you can see that they are almost always completely booked over a year in advance. He's definitely doing something right!

Everything I've read about Jim and his trips has been positive. Jim has several different types of trips including dolphins and sharks, but what Jim is known for, are his tiger shark expeditions.

Tiger sharks are much larger than Caribbean reef sharks. They also have a reputation for being aggressive and are considered one of the most dangerous species of shark along with bull sharks and great whites.

Make sure you know which trip you are signing up for.

I agree that the tigers are impressive, but I've been to Tiger Beach with my wife and kids (ages 11 and 15 at the time) and did not feel threatened.
crw_4962a.jpg

crw_4508a.jpg

My daughter and I even did a night tiger shark dive which was very cool.
crw_4828e.jpg

Yes, you need to show them respect but Jim does a great job at tiger beach. The summer trips are often shark/dolphin and some of those trips include a day or two at Tiger Beach while others do not. I agree -- know what you are comfortable with and know what you are signing up for.

Has anyone dove with Jim Abernathy's Scuba adventure? [SIZE=-1]http://www.scuba-adventures.com My husband wants to do a Shark trip with them but haven't heard anyone talk about them. I would love to go as I don't notice anyone else offer that. My problem? Im a puke-girl. Im afraid since the boat is only 65', that it is going to be difficult for me. I would love to try Nexton but they don't offer anything like this.:shakehead:
so, 1. has anyone dove with them and how did you like them? 2. How was the rockin'? 3. Did you see plenty of Sharks?

Thanks,
Jill
[/SIZE]

I have heard nothing but great things about their shark dive trips - except that they are hard to get booked on since they sell out a year ahead. If that is what you are looking for, book asap. I have been told that there is little diving other than the shark dives over the sand so you really gotta be into sharks to do that all day for 5 days. For anyone wanting up close encounters with all kinds of sharks it is THE TRIP. But you are right about the boat - if you get sea sick easy it will not be the best for you. Plus no private bathrooms or private areas, kinda like BB "camping at sea" and Nekton as far as comfort.

The Nekton does offer a trip with sharks, the Cay Sal Bank trip which I did and trip report is posted here. Not the same thing at all, mostly caribbean reef sharks and chance of others only. But the Nekton boat would be more comfortable for you.

It all depends on what both of you want!

robint

Everything I've read about Jim and his trips has been positive. Jim has several different types of trips including dolphins and sharks, but what Jim is known for, are his tiger shark expeditions.

Tiger sharks are much larger than Caribbean reef sharks. They also have a reputation for being aggressive and are considered one of the most dangerous species of shark along with bull sharks and great whites.

Make sure you know which trip you are signing up for.

LOL, yup, thats the one, and I think it is Tiger and Hammerheads:14:

Me and my wife had the same idea as you folks. We really wanted to see some sharks, but I too am prone to sea sickness (I think God gave it as my weakness to keep me humble :) ). Instead of comitting 7 days to a liveaboard on a boat like that, we made our way to North Carolina. We saw Sand Tigers every day, some as big as 9 to 10 feet. Some dives we'd see 6 or 7 swimming around the wrecks at the bottom.

I'm sure it doesn't compare to Jim Abernathy's Scuba adventure, but it might help you get your shark fix without having to committ so much time to a boat you're not sure about.

Me and my wife had the same idea as you folks. We really wanted to see some sharks, but I too am prone to sea sickness (I think God gave it as my weakness to keep me humble :) ). Instead of comitting 7 days to a liveaboard on a boat like that, we made our way to North Carolina. We saw Sand Tigers every day, some as big as 9 to 10 feet. Some dives we'd see 6 or 7 swimming around the wrecks at the bottom.

I'm sure it doesn't compare to Jim Abernathy's Scuba adventure, but it might help you get your shark fix without having to committ so much time to a boat you're not sure about.

What time of the year? How was the vis? Did you wear a 7mm wetsuit?
Thanks for that info...that may be my only hope. Just diving with reef sharks is not enough.. hard to understand I guess, I love sharks! If I were 20 years younger, I would have gone in that career direction and y'all would be watch ME on Discovery Channel:rofl3:
Jill

What time of the year? How was the vis? Did you wear a 7mm wetsuit?
Thanks for that info...that may be my only hope. Just diving with reef sharks is not enough.. hard to understand I guess, I love sharks! If I were 20 years younger, I would have gone in that career direction and y'all would be watch ME on Discovery Channel:rofl3:
Jill

We went just a couple of months ago, over the 4th of July weekend. I think North Carolina is a misunderstood destination by most people (I hadn't even given it any thought until someone on this board made the sugestion to me). The water was in the mid to high 70s, most of the people on the boat were wearing 3mm suits, myself included.

We were there 3 days, and the vis varied. The worst we saw it was about 40' with the best being about 80' or so. Conditions vary week by week, but our conditions were pretty typical for the summer. During the fall and winter, temp and vis drop drastically, but during the summer it's a great place to dive.

Lots of sharks, amazing wrecks (we saw the German U-boat sunk during WW2, and a couple large cargo ships), the biggest sting rays I've ever seen in my life, lion fish, etc.

We dove with Olympus, you can give them a call and I'm sure they'll give you more detailed information about best months to dive and typical conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom