Halcyon BC with Backplate and Harness Never Used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ranger131

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am selling a Halcyion Explorer BC with the Backplate and full Harness Rig, I forgot to add in it also has the backplate storage pack on it . The Bladder is 55 Pound Capacity. You can dive this with Doubles an Aluminum 80 Strapped to one Side and a Bailout bottle on the other side with a dry a suit and still have no lift issues at all. I bought it when I was really heavy into Tech Diving unfortunately before I got to use it I had to have heart surgery and I can no longer perform those dives anymore. So It's basically just been sitting in my dive kit and I think I can finally part with it now. Like I said it's brand new. It's the standard size backplate. I don't currently have any pictures up but if you email me with interest I can send you Pictures and I do plan on posting some. I also have some other items that I would be willing to throw into the deal as well. If you contact me we can go over those items and see if they are of need to you. Please feel free to email me anytime at jsargent1@yahoo.com. I am new to this site so any advice that can be offered would be appreciated

Asking Price is $475 plus shipping. I am willing to Negotiate.

I am also selling a set of Steel Doubles complete with manifold. If someone wanted to get them both I would sell them for $1,000.

Attachments

• BC for sale 2.jpg
    BC for sale 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 339
  • BC for sale 4.jpg
    BC for sale 4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 280
  • BC for sale.jpg
    BC for sale.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 241
  • BC for sale 3.jpg
    BC for sale 3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 245
  • BC for sale 5.jpg
    BC for sale 5.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
I have decided to lower my asking price since I really need to sell this BC. I have dropped it to $450 including shipping. It is in excellent, brand new condition. It has the large size bladder for Tech Diving, that's what i was planning on using it for until I moved to N.M. I made a mistake in my original post the bladder is actually rated at 70 pounds I have included a picture I also had Halcyon add the pocket on the Backplate. It's a full harness and has a dive knife that comes with it as well. So far I have only had one interested party please feel free to email me anytime with question 704-719-6067. This really is an excellent deal for this quality BC. I am having a really hard time understanding how someone can just sell a Halcyon wing asking over $350 and the wing is smaller than mine. Yet I am selling not only the wing but the entire harness, crotch strap, backplate pouch and a dive knife for only $100 more and I have not had any interest. Can somebody please help me if I am doing something wrong here. I am a decorated Army Special Operations Vet I served 10 years in Ranger Battalion and then in RRD. I served in Somalia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afgan. so if there are any issues of character please call me and I can provide references. I have added additional pics. Tthank you for your time.

Thank You,

Ranger131

Attachments

• DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0043.jpg
    DSCF0043.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF0038.jpg
    DSCF0038.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF0040.jpg
    DSCF0040.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF0041.jpg
    DSCF0041.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 156
First of all, that really is a nice setup. Few points on why it might not have moved yet, my opinion only, and some questions.

1. Bigger wing isn't necessarily better, and a lot of people on here try to match their wing size quite closely to the tanks they dive. I dive a pretty large rig (double steel 130s) and wouldn't use a wing bigger than my Explorer 55. Do you know if the dimensions on this wing are the same as the Explorer 55?

2. Some people are suspicious of the old Halcyon stainless steel inflators (early versions had to be recalled due to spontaneously trying to turn people into Polaris missiles). Can you give a better picture of just the power inflator? Hard to tell if it has the post-recall groove on it or not. If you're willing to parting out the wing I'd be interested, assuming same size as Explorer 55 and the post-recall inflator.

3. What plate is this? I can tell by the slots that it's a regular size, but is it aluminum or steel? If it's steel, I'd be interested in picking it up, too, but the brushed finish and use with heavy steel doubles makes me suspect its aluminum.

4. Check some of the sale prices for large H wings and H bp/harness rigs here and on eBay, and you may agree with me that your price is a tad on the higher side. Used H explorers run around $200-$250 from what I've seen, and used H plates/harnesses are more in the $100-$150 range depending on condition and whether they've been cut.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I purchased this setup for technical deep diving unfortunatly I moved to New Mexico before I got to use it..lol. I checked out the Backplate for you and unfortunatly it is Aluminum. I bought this setup to wear with my Steel doubles and 1 Aluminum 80 under each arm so I didn't need the extra weight at the time. Sorry to disappoint you there but I did some checking on the valve and it looks like it has been recalled. I checked the pictures of the recalled versions versus the replacement and mine looks like the replacement. The site said the replacement valves had a break under the inflater nut where the original was just smooth. Mine has a break. I have attached photo's for you to check and let me know. As far as size goes I don't know how I would figure that out, I tried to call Halcyon but they are already closed.

I just found out by speaking to a dive shop that since it does have the groove even though it is stainless it is not subject to recall. Only the smooth ones without the groove are subject to recall so this model is just fine.
---------- Post Merged at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:11 PM ----------

If it does need replacement they are still allowing people to replace them for free. So I can always send it in if you think it needs it. Thanks again for your help.

---------- Post Merged at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:11 PM ----------

I found out the wing dimensions are the same. I just have to make sure the back plate is aluminum. I will have to weigh it to make sure it's not steel. I just couldn't imagine purchasing an aluminum one but I did buy this several years ago. I will find out for you for sure.

Attachments

• Inflator 1.jpg
    Inflator 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Inflator 3 (1).jpg
    Inflator 3 (1).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Inflator 3 (2).jpg
    Inflator 3 (2).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Inflator 4.jpg
    Inflator 4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Inflator 5.jpg
    Inflator 5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Inflator 6.jpg
    Inflator 6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Inflator 8 (1).jpg
    Inflator 8 (1).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Inflator 8 (2).jpg
    Inflator 8 (2).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Ranger,

I have an Evolve 40 (donut), and an Explorer 55 (horseshoe, like yours).
Another thing that affects the selling price of wings is the horseshoe vs. donut thing that pops up from time to time on the forums.

Personally, it makes no difference to me which one I use, I'm more concerned with wing size than if it's a horseshoe or donut wing.

But it does affect sales. Horseshoe wings typically go for less than donut wings do, because many people are convinced that the donut wing is somehow better.

As Dr. Lecter already mentioned, the wing size is bigger than most people would use so that's probably having an impact on your selling it.

Your asking price is good to go.

Good luck, and thank you for your service!

-Mitch
1st ID B Co. 2-16 INFANTRY (Iraq '91)

Thanks I didn't think I was way out there with my asking price. $450 plus shipping brand new is not a bad deal, at least I didn't think it was. But I am willing to negotiate a little more due to the fact I really need the cash. Thanks for your help guys!

Ranger131

thanks for your service to Mitch!

I made a mistake on this post the $450 includes shipping. I even agreed to ship to a interested party in Australia. So shipping is included. The Bladder is the same size as the 55 pound. And the Inflator does not need to be recalled. I appreciate your Help Dr. Lector, I have been away from the diving community so long I feel a little lost. Anyway, If anybody has questions please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks,

Ranger131

If you have any interest in parting it out, I'd be interested in the plate assuming it's AL.

I checked out the Backplate...it is Aluminum... even though it is stainless...

Ranger...there seems to be some confusion in your description on the backplate...Aluminum or Stainless Steel.?

BTW...I hope you never get tired of hearing this...

"Thank you for your service to our great country...I understand your sacrifices you chose to make and the hardships you endured."

~Michael~

Sorry for the delay guys I have been dealing with some other issues. I double checked and the plate is aluminum. Thank you very much Oldbear, I appreciate the consideration. This item is still in my house for sale. It's in great shape guys so please contact me if your interested. I am still willing to negotiate with the price a bit.

Sincerely,
Jason
SSI Divemaster
SSI DiveCon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom