Vintage Rolex Sea Dweller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've decided to sell my Rolex Sea Dweller which I purchased new. It has been a collector's item for some time and I'm not a collector.

This watch replaced my Rolex Submariner, which blew-up in the DCIEM chamber in 1975. The Sea Dweller was originally a Double Red. The dial was replaced by Rolex in the early 80's during service. I found out this week that I could have added $15-20k to the price of the watch if it had this dial, so if one can be found... :wink:

Anyway, I have the original paperwork from Rolex and the bill of sale dated 19 Dec 1975. The watch is guaranteed to be authentic. This is the first series of Sea Dwellers to be made Model 1665/00, serial number is 3099130. The Sea Dweller is equipped with a Helium Escape Valve and is no longer made, being replaced by the Rolex Deep Sea.

This is a working watch and has been worn by me throughout my diving career.

As the value of the watch will only increase, the price will change upward periodically to reflect market value.

Price: $17,000 Canadian

Attachments

• Rolex3 005.jpg
    Rolex3 005.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 461
  • Rolex3 004.jpg
    Rolex3 004.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 416
  • RolexPapers 002.jpg
    RolexPapers 002.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 268
  • RolexPapers 001.jpg
    RolexPapers 001.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
This watch is sold; awaiting bank transfer. Thank you.

That was fast. Someone landed a nice watch.

That was fast. Someone landed a nice watch.

I posted it here and on e-Bay. In 30 mins I had 16 e-mails and before I could answer them all, it was sold with Buy-it-now. Surprised the heck out of me.

I've replaced it with a new Rolex Deep Sea for $9,000 less. I hope I'll be happy.

Both watch are very nice. I am also looking for a seadweller. Now I have a aquatimer. So if you know someone who wants to sell please let me know.

I know i'm diggin through old bones here, but does anyone know the value in current dollars of a Double Red rolex Sea Dweller approx vintage '77- '78 ?

I own the Seiko lawsuit copy of this watch and it is awesome.
I quit wearing it because repairs were just too costly for parts.
Seemed to average 3-400 USD every time i had it repaired.
Maybe I am too tough on watches.
Changed to Titanium Citizen.
Whole new replacements were double an average repair.
although the Citizen is only rated to 200m, but I have never gone even close to that.

I have a 1973 Sea Dweller with some red on the face, what makes it double red?

Number of lines of text that are red.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom