Li-ion Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRTdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you use Li-ion batteries like 18650 or 26650 there is a new seller (site).

He is based in Washington state, so you don't have to buy from China and wait.

I have never seen batteries packed so well... ever.

If you are used to xxx-fire batteries. These are much better quality and will give you a longer runtime.

For example: protected Panasonic 3400mAh cell (link)

all Batteries

test results

This is an graphical example of two batteries...
(1) the Ultrafire 3000mAh (in Red) vs. (2) Panasonic 3400mAh (Blue)

The load applied to both cells is 1 amp.

HKJ18650test_zps6b81f346.jpg

(1) The Ultrafire cell (red color) rated at 3000mAh only achieves about 2050mAh. That's why I don't like cheap xxx-fire cells - they overrate their capacity.

(2) The Panasonic cell delivers higher voltage through the whole time period... so you would have a slightly brighter light (though probably not perceivable).
Plus, the capacity is better, so your light would stay on longer.

This information may not be that important to a recreational diver. But technical divers should know what are quality batteries.

Here's the Link if you want to compare other 18650 or 26650 cells. You can apply different loads (1A, 2A, etc.). Most of your dive lights would be driven to 1-3A.

Last edited:
yeah what merxlin said. Plus a little for shipping & handling. I bought (4) 14500 cells (about the size of AA batteries) and S&H was $2.19.
+ I think all his 18650 cells also come in plastic cases.

Those Orbtronic are excellent batteries. But what ppl may not know is that batteries such as AW, EagleTac, KeepPower, etc are not manufactures... they just have cells made to their specifications... adding protection, labeling, button tops, etc.

So that 3400mAh Orbtronic 18650... what makes it great is that is uses a Panasonic base cell. If you peel away the wrapping you will see Panasonic. (I know you already know this Kharon)

I'm glad you brought up Orbtronic... currently the highest capacity 18650 is 3600mAh.
Orbtronic sells one (3600mAh) for $23 per cell - but the actual gains vs. 3400mAh Panasonic is not worth it.

This is a comparison of the two at 1 ampere...

d9c1300f-8812-4ab6-b073-267addb962af_zpsfca4950a.gif

sure the Orbtronic (red lines) is better, but only slightly

Chart from HKJ site

Last edited:
Batteries are back in stock

Protected 3400mAh Panasonics

Unprotected 3400mAh Panasonics

Unprotected 26650 King Kongs

for protected 26650s see CNQG - for the cost these King Kongs are the best 26650 batteries - great capacity.

Note: Never drain unprotected cells below ~2.75 amps or they will get ruined.

protected batteries automatically shut off around 2.7A to "protect" themselves.

Ordered some of your batts and a charger for a little Chinese light I ordered. Hope they work out!

I ordered these batteries and they look great. Imagine my surprise and total disappointment when I found they would not fit in my dive lights (Light for Me 3XPG MINI video lights). Standard 18650's fit fine, but these are larger in diameter and the lights are cut too small for them to fit. So anyone who wants 4 of them for a good price- let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom