Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Buyer be aware - DBROTH

 



  1. #1
    Registered


    would rather dive than post
     

    TEERLKAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    S. FL
    Posts
    200
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    72

    Buyer be aware - DBROTH

    To all,
    Just wanted to pass along an unpleasant experience with a retailer that goes by DBROTH. They sell via Amazon and I purchased an underwater housing (WP-DC6) from them for my canon A710IS. I did a quick check of the case with a tissue in our sink and all appeared fine. It wasn't until the first time I went diving with it that I noticed a gasket screw missing and a small amount of water in the case. It wasn't a catastrophoc failure and the camera still functions although I now have some slight ghosting on the lcd screen - is it from the water? Don't know.

    Anyway I contacted the seller and they had absolutely no interest in anything I had to say because "the return period had expired". I am currently contacting Canon USA.

    This retailer has 96% approval rating on Amazon but I believe how a seller handles problems really tells the story. I am a big fan of scubatoys - not because I've never had problems with them - I have. But it's how they handle the problems that sets them apart from the rest. DBROTH did not show ANY interest in helping me resolve the issue and, because of that I will never do business with them again. I wrote a review stating all this on amazon and thought I would also post here.

    Happy Holidaze
    ...way down here, you need a reason to move!

  2. #2
    ScubaBoard Contributor


    Has not set a "status"
     

    liberato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carmel Valley, California
    Posts
    623
    Photos
    8
    I sympathize with your predicament but their policies are pretty clear if you ask me. Basically, they say in return for razor thin margins buyers agree to not bother them with manufacturer warranty issues after 7 days. You sought out the absolute best price as the primary consideration of the transaction but then expect them to bend the rules on their support policies.

  3. #3
    Advisor


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Cave Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Photos
    14
    I agree with liberato.

    I doubt Canon will be sympathetic unless they are the maker of the housing as well. I'm sure they will tell you any damage caused to the camera in this fashion is not covered by warranty.

    Unfortunately, it sounds as if you may have learned the hard way that low cost does not always equate to best value.
    The polar opposite of a Fountain of Knowledge is a Font of Nonsense.

  4. #4
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    sharksdelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    913
    Dives
    2,500 - 4,999

    warranty

    It also supports the need to get insurance for equipment. I have mine insured with DAN but have had Depp insurance as well.
    Steve:14:

  5. #5
    Registered


    (Mostly Absent)
     

    limeyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    3,053
    Photos
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by TEERLKAY View Post
    To all,
    Just wanted to pass along an unpleasant experience with a retailer that goes by DBROTH. They sell via Amazon and I purchased an underwater housing (WP-DC6) from them for my canon A710IS. I did a quick check of the case with a tissue in our sink and all appeared fine. It wasn't until the first time I went diving with it that I noticed a gasket screw missing and a small amount of water in the case. It wasn't a catastrophoc failure and the camera still functions although I now have some slight ghosting on the lcd screen - is it from the water? Don't know.

    Anyway I contacted the seller and they had absolutely no interest in anything I had to say because "the return period had expired". I am currently contacting Canon USA.

    This retailer has 96% approval rating on Amazon but I believe how a seller handles problems really tells the story. I am a big fan of scubatoys - not because I've never had problems with them - I have. But it's how they handle the problems that sets them apart from the rest. DBROTH did not show ANY interest in helping me resolve the issue and, because of that I will never do business with them again. I wrote a review stating all this on amazon and thought I would also post here.

    Happy Holidaze
    FWIW DBRoth screwed me too (they sold me a grey-market lens that was advertised as a USA lens).
    I returned it and initiated a credit card dispute with AMEX after a DBRoth employee told me to return the item for "free" by pretending to UPS that it was not supposed to be delivered to me in the first place (so they did not have to pay return shipping)

    I complained to amazon but amazon doesn't give a crap if their vendors are ripping people off apparently.

    Welcome to "Capitalism" (aka the "right" to rip people off and get away with it it seems)
    ---
    Nick Ambrose
    http://www.nickambrose.com
    email:nick.a.ambrose@gmail.com

  6. #6
    NA


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Diver View Post
    I agree with liberato.

    I doubt Canon will be sympathetic unless they are the maker of the housing as well. I'm sure they will tell you any damage caused to the camera in this fashion is not covered by warranty.

    Unfortunately, it sounds as if you may have learned the hard way that low cost does not always equate to best value.
    Canon is the one I stick to

  7. #7
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1
    Same happened to me a few days weeks. I ordered the set of wide-angle Canon Lens for G9 camera from DBRoth. The invoice was for correct item, but the actual item was totally different (type and price).

    I emailed them. They called me and said it was their mistake and that they are going to email me UPS shipping labels (I paid $40 Shipping Fee + $8 tax + $32 UPS Border Processing Fee). They did not send me anything for a week and did not reply to any of my 6 follow-up emails.

    I tried to go to their website (www.dbroth.com) and it no longer was active. So, they shut it down. Then I went to Amazon.com and apparently, Amazon.com does not cary anything from DBRoth any longer.

    Amazon.com offered me A-to-Z protection refund. I think I will go for it.

    In summary, DBRoth sucked!

  8. #8
    ScubaBoard Contributor


    Has not set a "status"
     

    liberato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carmel Valley, California
    Posts
    623
    Photos
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by dimancanada View Post
    ...I tried to go to their website (www.dbroth.com) and it no longer was active. So, they shut it down. Then I went to Amazon.com and apparently, Amazon.com does not cary anything from DBRoth any longer...
    The Amazon Storefront appears to be up but their website looks pretty flakey. That company reminds me of those Brooklyn camera stores which I would never patronize no matter how good the price.

  9. #9
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    sharksdelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    913
    Dives
    2,500 - 4,999

    equipment

    Went on their site, no connecting server. The offer still stands as I have posted here many times, if someone wants any cam gear photo or video or whatever, do your own research, get the best price you can plus shipping from B & H or Adorama or any legit place and let me know. I will get it for less for you. I get no money, nor do I take anything...I simply have a strong connection with a legit place back east and can get it for less. However, please contact me only when you are really ready to get something as I do not want to lose credibility with the store.
    Steve:14:

  10. #10
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    38.8,-122.5 Northern California, USA
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by liberato View Post
    I sympathize with your predicament but their policies are pretty clear if you ask me. Basically, they say in return for razor thin margins buyers agree to not bother them with manufacturer warranty issues after 7 days. You sought out the absolute best price as the primary consideration of the transaction but then expect them to bend the rules on their support policies.
    That's an odd conclusion for you to draw, unless I missed part of the conversation.
    I went to Amazon, searched for some Canon items, located a few comparable items, and chose the DBRoth items for features. The price was comparable to the non-Canon-brand items from other vendors.

    I would rather order "stocked and shipped by amazon", but I have ordered other things in the past, and presume that a presence on Amazon implies some pre-qualification.

    I ordered Canon parts and received roughly the equivalent Nikon parts. Not gonna work. "Contact the seller" and direct email haven't elicited any response yet.

    At least there's an "A-Z guarantee", but I have to wait a couple of weeks to file that.

    All I want is the proper items, no price break. If the return shipping on the items breaks his profit on the whole deal, he should try shipping the proper items.

Similar Threads

  1. Buyer Beware
    By norcaldiver in forum Underwater Photography
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2003, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •