FS: Underwater photography (and video) system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For Sale: Complete underwater photography (and video!) system.

For someone wanting to get into underwater photography with a sturdy, reliable, high-quality system at a reasonable price, and who doesn't believe in the "megapixel myth", this system is the way to go! While the camera itself isn't a recent model, the optics are superb, with the fastest lens (f 1.8) that you are likely to find on any point and shoot!

The housing is a solid aluminum Light and Motion model, and the external strobe is the Sea and Sea YSDX TTL model. The whole system comes packed in a pelican case. You can see from the attached photos that this little rig really produces great images.

Price: $500 plus shipping OBO

camera1.jpg

pic - 8.JPG

pic - 7.JPG

pic - 6.JPG

pic - 5.jpg

pic - 4.JPG

pic - 3.JPG

pic - 2.JPG

pic - 1.JPG

camera2.JPG

Attachments

• camera3.jpg
    camera3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 521
Yes, the strobe syncs with the camera through the sync cable (not through a hot shoe but through a sync port on the side of the camera).

Just to clarify, I think that when I posted this I didn't upload full size sample images just to save bandwidth, and I may have given the impression that these were the largest images possible with this system. The images are up to 2272 x 1704 pixels, so unless you need to make prints that are larger than 8x10, this is a great system. I have lots of 8x10 prints from this rig that look great...

The big external strobe, the super fast lens and the solid metal case make this a terrific system. Will give you much better shots than a new cheap point and shoot with a low quality lens and a bunch of megapixels crammed into a small sensor.

Whoops..! Sorry about that. I realize that I left that out of the original post, my bad.

It's an Olympus 4040z, Tetra Light and Motion housing, with a Sea and Sea YS 90DX strobe.

Mike

Just to clarify, I think that when I posted this I didn't upload full size sample images just to save bandwidth, and I may have given the impression that these were the largest images possible with this system. The images are up to 2272 x 1704 pixels, so unless you need to make prints that are larger than 8x10, this is a great system. I have lots of 8x10 prints from this rig that look great...

The big external strobe, the super fast lens and the solid metal case make this a terrific system. Will give you much better shots than a new cheap point and shoot with a low quality lens and a bunch of megapixels crammed into a small sensor.

With all due respect, Dr. Mike, while this system will take OK pictures and make nice 8x10 prints, the image quality of the 4040 is no where near on par with the image quality of a new Canon s95/G12 for example. The 4040 sensor is quite small (1/1.8 or 5x7 mm) and while the Canon sensor is only a bit (15%) bigger the IQ is quite a bit better.
At $400 this is a pretty good deal because of the strobe and will take OK pictures but there is quite a bit of shutter lag compared to newer cameras that are not all that much more money.

Bill

With all due respect, Dr. Mike, while this system will take OK pictures and make nice 8x10 prints, the image quality of the 4040 is no where near on par with the image quality of a new Canon s95/G12 for example. The 4040 sensor is quite small (1/1.8 or 5x7 mm) and while the Canon sensor is only a bit (15%) bigger the IQ is quite a bit better.
At $400 this is a pretty good deal because of the strobe and will take OK pictures but there is quite a bit of shutter lag compared to newer cameras that are not all that much more money.

Bill

Bill, it's a ten year old digital camera. OK, maybe I went a bit overboard with my enthusiastic language to address the "megapixel myth", but I stand by what I said. I have an s90, it's a great camera, and that's not what I would consider "a cheap point and shoot". If you are a photo pro, then you certainly are familiar with cheap modern models that use the megapixel count as a marketing gimmick for an otherwise poor quality camera.

Take a look at the sample photos above, and tell me that they would be that much better with a new sensor. If you can put together a package with an s95 (about $350) in a metal underwater housing, a tray, strobe arm, the YS90DX strobe and a pelican case for "not that much more money" than $400, I'll buy it and sell it on eBay! :)

Seriously, though - the quality of any underwater image, as I'm sure you know, is about 70% the skill of the photographer, 20% the quality of the lighting, 8% the quality of the glass, and 2% the quality of the sensor (assuming that you aren't shooting with an Apple QuickTake from 1994). I wouldn't suggest to someone new to UW photography (for whom this system would be appropriate) that they will only get really good pictures if they get a 15% bigger sensor with a higher IQ.

But your points are well taken, and I know that you meant well!

Mike

Newer sensors might be better if you push it to iso 12800, but in the std 100/200 settings, there is not much advantage. But a lens who's f-stop decrease to f4.9 in its longest focal length is nothing to brag about, espcially if the 4040 stays almost 2 stop faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom