Newbie Diver needs inexpensive Camera Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dprestayko

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all... I'm going on my first dive in June (Bonaire) and I'm really thinking I should bring a camera! I'm interested in a nice (basic) setup in the $300 price range. I've been browsing the posts but it's overwhelming. If you're selling anything in that price range or have advice contact me asap...

dap100@verizon.net

Thanks! Dan

Gopro hero, great video and stills, small, bullet proof and lots of options for handles, strobes etc.

Reactions: Jax
Hi Dan:
From personal experience I recommend Intova. You can pick up the IC14 (including 14mp camera and housing) for only $240.00. You can get the IC12 used on ebay for as low as $75! I would recommend you also get a wide angle lens, but to start it isn't necessary. You can see my pics with both at www.drmark920.com/scuba
Best wishes
Mark

I have a DC1200 SeaLife camera, wide angle lens, strobe, 13oz weight, extra batteries, and soft case. Less than one year old, never flooded.
$475 plus shipping.

Doug (conner0319@gmail.com)
Use my direct email if you are interested, I will respond quicker)

Dan - buy used !!!

The next best thing is video. GoPro, etc.

If you already own a camera, use Google to search for a plastic UW housing. You might be surprised to find that a CHEAP housing exists, but can only go to 15M or 20M, more than enough.

Below 5M or 15' your pics will start to blue out. The flash will be useless in all cases...

Your flash only for macro (real close-up shots) - IOW within 12 inches or less.

Dan - buy used !!!

The next best thing is video. GoPro, etc.

If you already own a camera, use Google to search for a plastic UW housing. You might be surprised to find that a CHEAP housing exists, but can only go to 15M or 20M, more than enough.

Below 5M or 15' your pics will start to blue out. The flash will be useless in all cases...

Your flash only for macro (real close-up shots) - IOW within 12 inches or less.

Actually Mark, below 15' doesn't mean everything has to be blue. First, one can simply add on a Red Filter and do manual white balance and you will have beautiful natural color ($30 option). Second option is adding on a strobe (and no they don't have to be expensive- $175 with fiber optic cable). Thirdly, you can utilize a wide angle video light which will also give enough illumination for good color ($150 option). As a final step to any of the above, whether shooting raw or jpeg, processing through Photoshop helps restore natural colors (Photoshop Elements 10 is about $50). I give some lessons on these areas at my website classroom
The most important thing is practice; and it helps to study.
Best wishes
Dr Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom