FS: SL961 strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I think the time has finally come to start playing with HD video. I'm going to give my DC1000 to my daughter, it's been a great setup and she will enjoy the point and shoot nature.

However, she does not need nor would she enjoy the strobes.

So I'm selling 2 SL961 strobes.

If you would like to buy my strobes you have to promise to give them a good loving home. You have to take them on lots of dive trips, rinse then well after use, and of course post links to all albums here on the forum upon your return. They will require water to roam wild and free the way nature intended. I don't want to hear that I let you buy them and you put them in a small city apartment closet to collect dust for 5 years. That wouldn't be fair to them. If necessary I will collect references from other forum members to make sure that you are a diver that intends to squeeze every last drop of juice out of life, meaning you dive as much as you can.

OK the strobes:

I bought them both used about 4 years ago. They have worked well over the last 3 years on 100 or so dives. The only issue I ever had was that at one point the magnet switch that turns one of them on stopped working. The magnet had rusted out - I'm assuming the last owner didn't rinse well. I called sealife they sent me a new magnet and instructions for how to install (free of charge). It's been working fine ever since.

Each strobe "kit" includes the following
1x sl961 strobe
1x strobe diffuser
4x aa energizer rechargeable batteries (they have only been on one trip, I replaced them last year)
1x energizer battery recharger
1x fiber optic cable
1x sealife strobe arm
1x sealife strobe tray

What is not included:
1 - camera
2 - the fitting you will need on your camera to place the optic cable over its strobe (I'm keeping mine)
3 - the screw to fasten the camera to the tray (mine is a very deep screw built for 2x trays stacked - if you buy both strobes, I'm happy to throw it in, if you only have 1 strobe it wouldn't do you any good.

They are used, they worked fine on my last trip and still seem to test fire just dandy. They have never been flooded.

The rechargeable batteries: on rechargeables I usually get about 100 strobes flashes per charge, maybe a bit more. It would depend on the power I had the strobe set to. If I buy the high end lithiums I would get more, double. However, I generally didn't find it worth the money unless I knew I wouldn't be in a position to recharge in between days of diving. The number of strobe flashes per charge has been my only grief with these over the years. However, I guess that's just the price of playing the game. Rechargeable are the only way to go in my opinion.

Cycle time: when set to lower power the cycle time between strobes is pretty quick. When set to high power it really depends on the level of battery charge, but I would say just shy of 10 seconds. I have noticed oddly that one recycles faster than the other by a couple of seconds. I can never figure out if its batteries or what. The longer one takes 10 seconds, the shorter one takes closer to 7 or 8.

So finally as to price:

I know you can get them for 300 new, but that doesn't include the diffusers (must have imho) or batteries and chargers, which would run you about $50 per strobe. I feel like $225 per strobe is a fair price. At that price I will ship continental US via US mail. If you want them sooner I can use another carrier, but you'll need to cover the cost.

If someone wanted to buy both of them, I could likely be talked into paying for UPS ground at listed price. If someone in the OKC area buys it, We can shave a bit off the stated price and I'll meet you some place around town.

You can private message me or respond here...your option.

Pictures attached.

Methods of payment: paypal, or you can send me a check, but I won't ship until it clears - sorry
frown.png
If you are local, cash is always welcome, but paypal would still be accepted.20131130_075452.jpg20131130_075537.jpg20131130_075601.jpg20131130_075616.jpg20131130_075631.jpg20131130_075639.jpg20131130_075652.jpg

In an effort to avoid ebay - $200 each - shipped to lower 48.

Closing strobes failing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom