How many CMAS certified out there in US ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently moved in, and when I saw this CMAS america sub-forum I was happy... but after a lot of research for dive clubs around, I actually have to say CMAS is way under-represented ;o) I know PADI is the big boy here, still I was expecting to find a bit more !
I feel like I'm back in early 90s when I had my mac and all the world had PCs ;o)

Will CMAS do as good ? I do not think so...

So who are you guys, how many of us, poor CMAS are out there ???

Let us know !

I think they've just started there so it will take some time for them to certify a fair number of divers. By the way, how many CMAS instructors are there in America? Is it around the whole continent or more in some countries?

CMAS is actually one of the largest organizations in the world and the most distinguished. Captain Jacques Yves Cousteau was the spearhead and chairman of the original committee that formed the organization in 1958-59. Because of poor representation for the technical (training) committee by the US's representative body at the time CMAS was almost invisable in the US. In 2005 we were asked to try one more time to develop a CMAS presence in the US and Caribbean. We are slowly making headway in the US but as you know the vast majority of people here are in to do it fast and don't sweat the details. But as the old saying goes "the devil is in the details" and people who participate in diving throughout their lives have taken more comprehensive courses than most of those offered these days. So we are in an uphill battle but if you look at our website Welcome to CMAS AMERICAS OFFICIAL WEBPAGE we are fairly well spread out in the US right now and more importantly have some of the best instructors in the industry. We continue to grow and have several Instructor workshops coming up which will increase the numbers and expand the availability of CMAS Instruction in the US. As for the club scenario you must realize that when PADI grew the dive industry in the 1970's and 80's by changing to a marketing first plan the existence of dive clubs as a major force in the US ceased to exist. Also the societal change to the rush-rush-rush mentality dramatically decreased the number of people interested in participating in dive club activities. Having lived overseas and been a member of CMAS related dive clubs I feel it is very unfortunate that dive clubs do not exist as extensively as they did when I started diving. We miss a lot of the comradery and fun of the diving experience by racing up, jumping on a dive boat, making a dive or two, jumping off the dive boat into a car and speeding off to the next event. I always tell my students to plan for a full day when we do our check-out dives so they can optimize the experience and more fully enjoy diving. CMAS is about quality training for divers not trying to produce massive numbers. We want to train people so they are highly skilled individuals who continue to dive for their entire lifetime because they enjoy it and care about the ocean realm. Hope this helps clarify the position of CMAS in the US.

CMAS One
Frank Toal, President
CMAS AMERICAS

I'm a CMAS 2 star diver...I have been very pleased with my instruction. I recommend it wholeheartedly to my friends and family. in the states you can find CMAS in some of the YMCA clubs around the country classes are always small and personal. it can save some cash to follow their "plan" you don't need another class for every little thing...it's just included in the certificate you are working on...

I learned in Norway but I come from the states (if that matters in the least)

Dive Safe!

I think the majority of CMAS diver in the US are probably cross overs from the YMCA program. No numbers, just a guess.

I think they've just started there so it will take some time for them to certify a fair number of divers. By the way, how many CMAS instructors are there in America? Is it around the whole continent or more in some countries?

Are you talking about the 2 continets or about US ? I think the OP was saying about US.. My instructor is CMAS instructor here in Canada

Recently moved in, and when I saw this CMAS america sub-forum I was happy... but after a lot of research for dive clubs around, I actually have to say CMAS is way under-represented ;o) I know PADI is the big boy here, still I was expecting to find a bit more !
I feel like I'm back in early 90s when I had my mac and all the world had PCs ;o)

Will CMAS do as good ? I do not think so...

Sadly, you're probably right.

So who are you guys, how many of us, poor CMAS are out there ???

Not enough. The CMAS two star certification requirements look really nice. Unfortunately, you can't do it in a weekend, so it's going to be a tough sell for people who are looking for instant gratification.

Terry

Web Monkey:
The CMAS two star certification requirements look really nice. Unfortunately, you can't do it in a weekend, so it's going to be a tough sell for people who are looking for instant gratification.

CMAS isn't for those folks. CMAS is for folks who want quality.

Are you talking about the 2 continets or about US ? I think the OP was saying about US.. My instructor is CMAS instructor here in Canada

Well, America is only one continent. I know trappist was asking about the USA in particular but I thought I'd extend the question to the whole continent to have a feeling of how spread CMAS training is now.

Well, America is only one continent.

I have always considered them being 2, After reading your response I have done some search to check it and here is what I have found in wikipedia.

"North America and South America are now treated as separate continents in India, China, and most native English-speaking countries, such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand[citation needed]. Furthermore, the concept of two American continents is prevalent in much of Asia. However, in earlier times they were viewed as a single continent known as America. From the 19th century some people used the term "Americas" to avoid ambiguity with the United States of America. The plurality of this last term suggests that even in the 19th century some considered the New World (the Americas) as two separate continents. North and South America are viewed as a single continent, one of six in total, in some parts of Europe, and much of Latin America[citation needed]."

CMAS site shows most of the CMAS centers being located south of the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom