The Search for Clarence Holmes in Laurel Lake Ky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Michaud SELAUSAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
[h=2]
icon1.gif
Equipment HELP! The Continuing Search for Clarence Holmes, Laurel Lake Kentucky[/h]
To my diver friends I am looking for 4-6 large underwater lights. These would be the type similar to the ones used in Men Of Honor. They can be 12v dc, 110v ac or even 220v ac. I need to hang them about 20-30 feet off of the bottom in our search area in Kentucky. We can make our dive profiles more shallow and using this system we should be able to illuminate the bottom from above. Even the loan of some video lights would possibly work. This is all being done on our own nickel so any help would be appreciated. We have one last area, to search, that we have evidence Clarence Holmes is there. Due to depths and cold it is slow and tedious as well as cold. By using "stadium lighting" we can search from a much shallower depth and will end this search sooner and more safely. I appreciate any help with lighting.

Forrest Wilson, Skip Kendrick, Robbie Smith and Derrick Powell have been with me and searching this lake. The profiles are 90-100' and 40-41 degrees. It is very dark and tedious. We have been there twice and are down to a specific area in which we are confident we will locate Clarence Holmes on the bottom. There is a facebook page you can visit. Come Home Clarence. You can also visit my page (Mark Michaud) for information on this search. Here are 2 videos I shot showing dives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRyxhddsh_4 Derrick Powell and Myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRyxhddsh_4 Forrest and I

Hat and hose is not an option due to the bottom make up. We have to keep it silt free. Using cave skills this has been possible. No one is doing anything like this and our experience and knowledge has basically been writing the book on this type of recovery operations. His family had been left with, it's too deep, too dangerous (underwater Forrest) etc. The team I have put together has the necessary experience and skills to complete this mission safely but having more light would speed recovery ops up. The search area is literally the side of a mountain as this is a man made reservoir. A Mesotech Sonar was considered but due to rock formations and the angle of the search area, again, old fashioned search methods seems to be the plan of the day. The water is very clear, but very dark below 60'.

Mark Michaud diverecoveries at charter dot net nine eight five nine six 0 one one five seven​

Rov? Potentially works 24/7, you can buy a small one for a few thousand, and sell on when complete, or rent a better one...there must be small rov operators out there that would be willing to put reduced rates out there in return for exposure?

Rov? Potentially works 24/7, you can buy a small one for a few thousand, and sell on when complete, or rent a better one...there must be small rov operators out there that would be willing to put reduced rates out there in return for exposure?

ROV's have been used. They were pulled because of entanglements. This is the side of a mountain we are searching. Trees, brush, rock outcroppings, 41 degree water and 100' profiles. The water is very dark and there are more things to hang up on than you can imagine. Our cave lights are better than lights on ROV's that could be used in this lake. We are very close and have narrowed down the search area. If the sun can penetrate 60' I would hope some high intensity lights could penetrate 10' to 20' off of the bottom. I have come up with a secondary plan to further isolate the search area but as this is a search that has never been done, or at least so infrequently that there is nothing out there to reference, I am trying to see what can work and what doesn't. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom