"Is that a thing?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My niece told me that a commercial diver from my brother in laws side of her family used to sleep underwater. When I told her I used to do the same thing she started to laugh and asked "Is that a thing?" I was doing bridge piling restoration work and when something would go wrong topside it usually did not take too long to fix so I would stay in the water and wait for the problem to be solved. When the water was warm enough I would just curl up between a couple of pilings and take a nap. I only know of one other diver I worked with that did this but there must be more. How many have taken a nap underwater while waiting for something to happen topside?

Few years back, went wreck diving w/a friend who just had twins a few weeks earlier and needed a break....Up every two hours, feeding, diaper changes etc. then off to work....Lost track of him then found him wedged under some stairs, curled up, sound asleep !!!!

Hand raised:D even had a smart ass raise the diver volume and set off the bells on a wind up clock.

What is it about piling work that makes one tired? or bored? LOL
Working shallow water means no reason for coming back to the barge. ****, when the radio barked "stand by gonna be a minute." meant the barge rats where in a tizzy over something LOL

OR this line. "Might as well come up the crane man is out of his cab". That line usually meant "early day."

Back
Top Bottom