Inshore/occupational diver? to good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BL1969

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thinking about getting into commercial diving, I now live in Vancouver British Columbia we have a school on Vancouver Island called "Divesafe international" that I'm thinking about attending. I'm a construction worker that has some marine construction experience. I'd like some information about this school.? ...I had no idea that I could do commercial work so easily, back home in Ontario it was my understanding that I had to take a college course that would cost 25k? Some of the things I've heard sound to good to be true, like employer's banging on the door for graduates? Diver's making $400-$1000 a day geoduck diving? $250 a day working on salmon farms?...any information would help I'm seriously considering this I'm already taking my diver's medical

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. And in this case, it really is. :)

I can only speak to the USA, because that's where I worked mostly.
You'll make $20/hour if you can find a job. I ran into a scuba diver wearing a commercial diving t-shirt last week. I asked him where he worked. He finished school 12 months ago, and still couldn't get a decent job. My buddies are saying it's pretty slow at the moment. Back in the late 90's employers were beating down my door to hire me. Mostly because I was known for being drug/alcohol free and a hard worker. These days, people are calling every single employer in the country to get an interview at a diving job.

Spend your cash on a nursing degree. :wink: People are always getting sick and dying.

I'm a commercial Glazier(glass & Metal mechanic) I make 22 an hour now ...im thinking the job market may not be the same hear...a unionized labour makes about 27$ left Ontario in September took me two days to get the job I have now. Lots of work here for skilled trades.

But, is there a lot of commercial diving work in Canada? Call 30 companies and ask them if they are hiring. Then go to nursing school :)

Lol I'll do that... i am hearing about work on the west coast, I also hear about goeduck divers making large $$$ anyone from the north west coast here? Or even hear about "divesafe international" in British Columbia Canada?

Back in the late 70's early 80's I worked as a diver, day rate was $200 per day, wet or dry. I went to work for a Union Oil Company and recently retired after 29 yrs. with them. I was making $42 an hour in operations. Don't work non-union, unless you're the Boss, or own the company. When and if you consider geoduck diving or salmon farms, ask what the season is? Commercial diving exists on two things, ducktape, and Bull$hit......:cool2:

Last edited:
HI, long time lurker here, just stumbled across this topic and figured I'd register and finally make a post!

I've known Kelly at Divesafe for years, very knowledgable and experienced guy and runs a good school. He does have a good record as far as students finding work in the industry. As to the amount of money per day you can expect, I would say your in the ballpark for farm diving,and it is year round.

For the geoducks you would be lucky to get on a boat these days, but if you did then the amount you make would depend on the amount of quota on the boat and how much of that quota you would be allowed to pick. It varies a lot boat to boat. Most boats can do a quota in a couple months so definitely seasonal.

I guess it works for some people, others not so much. If it's more about money you might be better off in Alberta like everyone else :wink:

Hopefully that helps a bit ,I would reccomend calling Kelly and talking to him, he won't steer you wrong.

good luck !
cheers

A bit of a late response, however if you haven't already taken the course I would say go for it! As someone who works in the aquaculture industry on vancouver island I can tell you if you're a good worker with a great attitude you will have no issues finding work right away and staying busy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom