What is it? - Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can some of you experts please tell me what I am looking here?

Out of state seller knows little but say's it was new in the early 70's and slightly used.

Current state of parts availability would also be of interest.

Thanks,
Pete

compressor.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't notice that the picture didn't load!

Pete

Just looks like a Walter Kiddie compressor that is driven with a gas engine.

Just looks like a Walter Kiddie compressor that is driven with a gas engine.

Thanks, that's a good start.

I just realized my next big question is, what are the chances of getting 3500 PSI fills from this puppy?

Pete

Last edited:
one of the best compressors that one can get, if its in good condition. designed to run in adverse conditions, goes easily to 4500, pressure lubricated, bunch of expensive, exotic and very rugged materials went into it. i believe James at shelden sporting goods has overhaul kits for it.
get it if you can.

I'm not so sure. Kidde made some commercial scuba compressors that were similar to the military jobs but not necessarily made to the same insanely high milspec standard. This could be one of them, or may be a compressor someone made based on a milspec pump. The early scuba ones were designed to pump only 1800 to 2200 psi. The milspec ones can often output a lot more than they are rated for, but asking a 40 year old compressor to run at double its rated output is asking a lot.

Like you say, Jim would be the person to ask, but I doubt even he has OH kits. Just about the only source for most of the older compressors is from cannibalizing other similar pumps.

one of the best compressors that one can get, if its in good condition. designed to run in adverse conditions, goes easily to 4500, pressure lubricated, bunch of expensive, exotic and very rugged materials went into it. i believe James at shelden sporting goods has overhaul kits for it.
get it if you can.

i know for sure he had kits some months ago, not sure for which model but he had factory overhaul kits (everything included)
after he maid public on the yahoo mailing list that he has the kits i stopped seeing these units for sale :):):(:(

I'm not so sure. Kidde made some commercial scuba compressors that were similar to the military jobs but not necessarily made to the same insanely high milspec standard. This could be one of them, or may be a compressor someone made based on a milspec pump. The early scuba ones were designed to pump only 1800 to 2200 psi. The milspec ones can often output a lot more than they are rated for, but asking a 40 year old compressor to run at double its rated output is asking a lot.

Like you say, Jim would be the person to ask, but I doubt even he has OH kits. Just about the only source for most of the older compressors is from cannibalizing other similar pumps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom