Coltri MCH-6/Max Air 35 Motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkaterenchuk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking for a motor that will drive a Coltri MCH-6 otherwise known as a Max Air 35 compressor. 220V single phase. It would be nice if it also came with the starter control. I currently have the Honda gas engine so it would be great if I found one I could bolt right into the existing mounts and give me the flexibility to change from electric to gas easily when I want to take the compressor to a remote dive site.

Does anyone have experience with this specific change and things I need to watch for when sourcing and making the switch?

Any suggestion on where to find used or new?

John

Now I understand going from gas is different, but I changed my Max-Air CE90 from 3 phase to single phase with a new motor off ebay. Still have the 3 phase if someine is interested. After much searching it was the most cost effective way to do it. I modified my existing pulley to work with the new motor. I used the guide to figure out which motor had the same frame size and just bought a Lawson off of ebay.

While I wold love to sell you a factory motor to replace, as it has already been pointed out, you can go cheaper off eBay if you are handy. Original equipment will run you about $340.

Now I understand going from gas is different, but I changed my Max-Air CE90 from 3 phase to single phase with a new motor off ebay. Still have the 3 phase if someine is interested. After much searching it was the most cost effective way to do it. I modified my existing pulley to work with the new motor. I used the guide to figure out which motor had the same frame size and just bought a Lawson off of ebay.

Peter

Thanks for the info. It would be helpful if you could help with more specific so that I can go down the same path. At this point I do not even know what size motor to buy so anything you can provide would be appreciated. I will pm my private email to you.

John

While I wold love to sell you a factory motor to replace, as it has already been pointed out, you can go cheaper off eBay if you are handy. Original equipment will run you about $340.

Thanks Ray.

That is a good benchmark for me to work from. I suspect shipping is additional?

John

Thanks Ray.

That is a good benchmark for me to work from. I suspect shipping is additional?

John

Yup ... shipping is extra.

The electric motor you need to look for is 3hp. And the compressor turns 2240 RPM so that you will put out a little less are in single phase electric than you do with gasoline or three phase electric which spins it at 2800 rpm. You will need the appropriate sized pulley as well.

Good hunting!

Surplus Center has a nice 5 HP Leeson compressor motor for $130. Gear it to turn the right rpms and the extra HP will not be a problem, an electric motor draws current in proportion to the work it is being asked to do, not the nameplate HP rating.

Surplus Center has a nice 5 HP Leeson compressor motor for $130. Gear it to turn the right rpms and the extra HP will not be a problem, an electric motor draws current in proportion to the work it is being asked to do, not the nameplate HP rating.

Do you have a link. I can only find one for $160.

Thanks, John

If anyone has the motor frame size or can look it up on the motor label of their Coltri or Max-Air compressor that would be very useful information for me.

John

I asked my motor guy and his answer was, "I dunno ... I just take them out out of the box and bolt them on!"

I took a picture of one of the OEM motor information plates and it should have what your motor supplier is asking for. If not ... we DO sell them! :D

Attachments

• soga_side.jpg
    soga_side.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 1,103
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom