Can you Identify this Bauer compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Firstly I am new to the compressor arena so please excuse any mis-use of terminology.

I have a bauer compressor which I believe to be an ex-MOD Purus but have no idea which model or it's age.

The max fill rate is 100lpm although it is running around 65 as it only has a 1.7kw electric motor. (I filled twin 300 bar 7's from 100 bar to 330 bar in 50 minutes).

There is no plate with the techincal info on and the only numbers I can find on the block are KB12139 000 and 2/7.

Once it has been identified I would also like to get hold of a copy of the operation manual. There are a number of Purus parts lists on the Bauer website but I am not sure which is the correct one.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• bauer1.jpg
    bauer1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 818
  • bauer2.jpg
    bauer2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 575
  • bauer3.jpg
    bauer3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 509
  • bauer4.jpg
    bauer4.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 520
It is a Purus, but I can't tell you which generation from the photos, I would suspect it is a later version given the finned pressure line. The block looks a lot like my 1978 model, just painted black and with the fan shroud missing. Also is that a P0 filter stack showing in the background, if so that would make it newer than mine which came with a 04852 style filter stack, unless someone has changed it out.

Ike

p.s. it looks like most of your inlet air cleaner assembly is missing, parts were still available last time I looked a couple of years ago (same for replacement fan shrouds, although they were pricey)

Hi AdeyDiver67,

Nice compressor, the frame is great!

Your compressor is a Bauer, Purus-H (year and modification number don't bare any significance as there have been no major changes to this block). Also, your LPM / CFM rate is accurate for this block. Bauer claimed the Purus produced 3.5 CFM (100lpm), but the true CFM rate is 2.5-3cfm (65-80lpm).

I have a 3 stage operators manual and Purus-H parts list if you need them...free of charge. Also, we carry common wear items to fit your compressor and have Dealers world wide...Craig Clark (user on ScubaBoard) is one of our Dealers.

I am curious, how did you determine it is a Purus-H as opposed to a standard Purus? Also at least with my rebranded (barely rebranded that is the manual was a Bauer manual with Mako's name added to the cover) Mako Purus the specs in 1978 called for 3.2 CFM, earlier models were rated at 2.7 CFM. There were some changes between those earlier 2.7 CFM Purus units and mine, most visibly were the finned HP lines as well as changes to the blow off valves and interstage recirculation lines.

Ike

Hi AdeyDiver67,

One more thing,

Your filter system is not very effective. I cannot say with certainty what filter it uses (pictures and dimensions of the filter would help) but I would estimate that the filter only uses carbon which gets rid of taste and oder but doesn't remove carbon monoxide. Also, this filter system does a poor job of drying the air and ultimately saturates the filter. This means a short life for the filter. I would not recommend breathing your compressed air until you have replaced the filter system, but if a new filter system is out of the budget, make sure to change the filter on time and also make sure the intake air is not contaminated with exhaust from a boat ect.

Hi Ike

Thanks for the response.

You're right, there was an earlier version of the Purus labeled as such. this block was only in production in the 60's and there were some major differences, one being the original Purus was 3,000psi. When Bauer redesigned the block they labeled it a Purus-H (H for high pressure). Your compressor (from the sounds of it) is also a Purus-H. Yes, Mako rated this block at 3.2 and Bauer rated it up to 3.5...it all depends on the HP and RPMs.

Adey's block is most likely painted black because at some point in it's history it was packaged by Poseidon, but the block is actually a Bauer block. Your right, the fan shroud is missing which will cause the compressor to run VERY hot. I would highly reccommend not running it without the shroud. Also, Adey's filter system is not a PO system, it is the housing that commonly takes the 04852 filter cartridge.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Thanks Ike!
Gabe

A copy of the operators manual and parts list would be much appreciated. Do you have them in electronic format to email as I am in the UK?

Compressor will only be run in my garage so excessive moisture shouldn't be a big problem but I take your point and also about the CO2.

The filter is a refillable carbon type with 2 felt pads. The pads and carbon are all freshly installed. What options are there to replace the filter system and what sort of cost is involved?

Would you be able to supply an inlet air cleaner assembly for the Purus-H and do you have any UK based outlets?

Thanks

Hi AdeyDiver67,

One more thing,

Your filter system is not very effective. I cannot say with certainty what filter it uses (pictures and dimensions of the filter would help) but I would estimate that the filter only uses carbon which gets rid of taste and oder but doesn't remove carbon monoxide. Also, this filter system does a poor job of drying the air and ultimately saturates the filter. This means a short life for the filter. I would not recommend breathing your compressed air until you have replaced the filter system, but if a new filter system is out of the budget, make sure to change the filter on time and also make sure the intake air is not contaminated with exhaust from a boat ect.

Hi AdeyDiver67,

Thanks for your response. I do have electronic copies, but I have never been successful at emailing them...they are too large. I can mail them if you give me an address though.

Regarding a new filter system, Mike Casey in our Filters Department recommends one of the following systems.

AF-531-110-F, Appliance, Standard Air/Gas
AF-541-104-F, Appliance, Economy Air/Gas

The AF-531-110-F is a better design which will produce better quality air, but it is more expensive. The second option is AF-541-104-F. It is a cheaper version. Please click the link below to read informtation about these filtration systems and to see pictures.

http://www.lawrence-factor.com/images/lf0005.pdf

Also, We do carry an intake filter assembly to fit your compressor. Our Part number is NP-2221-0563A.

To receive a quote for these parts, please contact the following Lawrence Factor Dealer based in the UK.

AQUATRON
30 STANLEY STREET
GLASGOW G411JB
011-44-141-429-5902
ronnie@aquatron.co.uk
Ronnie or Tom Young

Thanks!
Gabe

I have a Mako Purus 1.8CFM compressor I guess old but works great. I run it on a gas engine that is 2.5 horse. It will fill a standard AL80 tank in about 35 minutes so it is pumping well. I need info on parts like a filter and intake parts that may be available. I also need a manual for this Mako.

Bill

Hi Adaconsultant30,

Thanks for replying to this thread. It sounds like your Mako Purus is pretty old. I would be happy to help, but first I need a few things. I need to see pictures of your compressor block and valve heads from multiple angles. Also, i need your purification system number. Please send these things to me.

Thanks!
Gabe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom