Converting Bauer JR II Gas to electric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bankyf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any information about converting the gas model Bauer JR II to electric? Looks like all I need is a motor that will match the bolt pattern of the frame with the correct pulley. I am sure Bauer will be happy to sell me this, but tech support was not much help and I feel like this can be done for much less. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to stay with single phase, either 110 or 220 will work.

The easiest way is to go with compressor company motors. Bauer has a kit that runs about $450 and it is a simple swap out. On top of that you will need a power cord and a motor starter. You could go with a Coltri motor for less than $400 and it includes the motor controller and cord, but you need to get the right sheave and belt. Of course, the Bauer motor is supposed to bolt up directly and the Coltri may not. Plus, if you are handy, you can find motors all over the interwebs for lots of different prices.

I suggest going with the 220 VAC instead of 110.

All you need is a motor with similar HP/watts (2.2kw I think) and a different sized pulley.

The manual on that compressor lists their electric models as such:

115V 1.5KW 2Hp
220V single phase 2.2KW 3Hp
220V 3 phase 2.2KW 3Hp

The fill rate goes from 122 L/min with gas to 82 L/min at 115V and 110 L/min at 220V single or 3 phase.

Enjoy the compressor.

The manual on that compressor lists their electric models as such:

115V 1.5KW 2Hp
220V single phase 2.2KW 3Hp
220V 3 phase 2.2KW 3Hp

The fill rate goes from 122 L/min with gas to 82 L/min at 115V and 110 L/min at 220V single or 3 phase.

Enjoy the compressor.

Thanks, I have the manuals and know that I am looking for the 2.2, 3hp single phase motor. The not so clear part is mounting to the base and the pulley. I might be able to use the gas engine pulley, but would need to determine the gas engine shaft size and try to find an electric motor with the same size shaft. Waiting on Bauer to confirm price on parts. They are not aware of a kit, but are supposed to be researching what is needed and getting back to me.

You could also contact a company that sells Baldor motors, or Baldor direct, and they should tell you which motor and mount to use. Depending on the application, it's best to select a continuous duty motor. 3ph motors are pretty all continuous duty motor, but 1ph can go either way.

When you change to electric I suggest getting a lower RPM motor it will save the life of your compressor, When I purchased my new Bauer Junior it was spining at 2300 RPM I slowed it down to 1800 it fills a little slower but puts allot less stress and wear on those little sewing machines.

Good luck

If you want to save money on a good electric motor go to "electricmotorsite" and buy a compressor duty motor. Any good hydraulic supply will carry every size pulley you need for less than $30
Jim Shelden

Back
Top Bottom