Trouble with K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm not sure if any can help but many thanks in advance if you can. I have a Bauer 1984 K14 compressor. That's blowing air through the final stage valve head and valve head cover it's also blowing air through the 2nd stage head as well this after all the heads were removed and the valves inspected cleaned, replaced and double checked for clearance and movement. We also replaced the bosch oil pump and the oil viewing inspection plastic site tube that screwed into the final stage oil pressure regulator. The oil pressure is fine the site glass is full of oil with no air. I can't seem to find the problem as this never happend before any ideas clues or procedure recommendations appreciated.

When you say it is blowing through, do you mean that the air is leaking out?

Check the valves in that cylinder head again one may be sticking closed and building pressure and blowing it out the valve head face or coil threads. The air flows progressively from one cylinder to the next increasing pressure as it goes. You may also have warn cylinder rings and the back pressure is building in the crank case and passing through the weakest rings in your case second stage and building pressure. Good luck

What will cause compressor to not build but 20 PSI in stage 1 of compressor. Is this a relief valve or loader or unloader valve in stage one or two?

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 05:54 AM ----------

What will cause compressor to not build but 20 PSI in stage 1 of compressor. Is this a relief valve or loader or unloader valve in stage one or two?

As far as I know, none of us are mind readers, so a few pictures and the brand type of compressor would help us to help you. :wink:

Last edited:
Personally I would say you have valve issues, I ran three K14's for years and never had any luck cleaning valves, for me anyway, it was a non starter.

I would almost certainly do a complete valve job (new valves) and work from there.

I had a "similar" issue with one of my K14's which was discussed here at length some years ago, (Namreg 58 would probably remember :D) do a search and read that thread, maybe it has some info you can use.

Personally I would say you have valve issues, I ran three K14's for years and never had any luck cleaning valves, for me anyway, it was a non starter.

I would almost certainly do a complete valve job (new valves) and work from there.

I had a "similar" issue with one of my K14's which was discussed here at length some years ago, (Namreg 58 would probably remember :D) do a search and read that thread, maybe it has some info you can use.

Hi widget, how could I forget, it was a saga to rival "Days of Our Lives" called "Bubbles in the Oil" IIRC and probably left a few people scarred for life. :D

After I informed siebegorman that the leak on the 4th stage was probably the O ring on the discharge valve and posted it, I realised that this thread was started in September last year and was probably fixed by now or the K14 was being used as a boat anchor.:wink:

Hi widget, how could I forget, it was a saga to rival "Days of Our Lives" called "Bubbles in the Oil" IIRC and probably left a few people scarred for life. :D

After I informed siebegorman that the leak on the 4th stage was probably the O ring on the discharge valve and posted it, I realised that this thread was started in September last year and was probably fixed by now or the K14 was being used as a boat anchor.:wink:

Ha, Ha, Yeah, Bubbles in the oil it was, what a nightmare,... I recon you are right though probably "scared and scarred" a few folk for life.

Glory,......... I also only saw now its 8 months odd old.... :D :shocked2: ...Oh well.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom