Smallest portable electric compressors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What would be the smallest, most portable compressors running on house electric power? i'm looking for something made more or less specifically for filling tanks, with a good record for safety and ease of use.

Thanks,

JD

One of the Coltri/Nuvair compressors, probably the Portable Open MCH6 / 3E.

I had a Bauer Junior for several years and it ran flawlessly. Fills to 5k psi but not rated for continuous duty. An Oceanus is the same block with an oil pump that is continuous duty.

Or better yet you could buy my Bauer Mariner! Although shipping to Washington sounds expensive. Maybe we could work something out.

It has been listed for a while and I am willing to throw in the filter housing and coalescing filter that is linked in the ad for the same low, low price of $4500. This compressor will run on house electric power no problem.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...nks/480380-bauer-mariner-compressor-sale.html

I have a Bauer Jr that I treat pretty badly. It works fine but I just had to replace the 3 hp electric motor. It fills a tank from 500 psi or to full in about 20-25 min.

You can get a 110 or 220v motor.

Not sure how small you mean by small, but there are some in the 70 to 100 lb range that will run off 120 volt ac or 240 volt ac. If you are looking at older machines, Bauer made some small ones called Varius and Purus which pump between 2 and 3 CFM which is about as small as practical. They are discontinued, but many of the parts are still available. Rix makes 3 and 6 CFM oil-less compressors which are portable. The newer bauers (Junior, Oceanus, Capitano) are degrees of portable, but each step up requires more power and is heavier. I don't know a lot about the coltri, but I think its been around a long time and it seems pretty portable.

If you provide a few more details of what you are thinking I'm sure the experts on here could provide more guidance. How many tanks are you filling, how much weight or size can you handle, what is your power situation (i.e. 120 VAC 15 amp house plug, 220 VAC 30 Amp dryer plug)?

I have an Oceanus. It's been great. I use it to fill a small bank setup.
Approx 120 lbs. 30Amp 220V.
When I run the math it fill rate is as advertised at just over 4.5ish cfm.

Last edited:
Portable and electric can be a bit of a problem.
The most portable of small compressors is gasoline engine driven. Electric has a LOT of variables.

First off is the voltage you need. Standard household electric wiring for 110 is 15-20 amps. The running draw on one of the small compressors is 29 amps and the startup current can hit 70.

For 220VAC, the running current is a LOT less ... 14 amps but most homes are wired only for an electric laundry dryer so it would require you wiring to your work area. And then there is the plug. I have seen four different 220 plugs come in on systems from owners and that means you need to find out what is code for your area and for whatever area you need to transport it to.

So, I guess we really need to know what you are planning on doing and go from there. Does it HAVE to be easily portable or is it just the small size you are looking for?

Don't forget the stove outlet. Yes there are more than one type of those too.

Thanks all. We're renting a house on a small island (not much roads) for a week, and I was toying with the idea of buying a small compressor. I had no idea what it would have entailed, but it seems that it's probably not going to make sense.

I'm not sure about Seattle, but in Vancouver there is a place that rents breathing air compressors. Rentals - Jordair Compressor Inc.

Might be an option to rent something that would work for you. If I were you I would consider renting a gas powered portable as long as it has triplex filtration and a good snorkel intake. Presumably the rental place would provide you with the necessary operating instructions.

Back
Top Bottom