Fresh air intake on a Rix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Couple of pics of the fresh-air intake I installed over the past few days - not to thump my chest or anything, but maybe it'll help someone thinking about or gonna do similar...

In the way of context, I moved my Rix from the garage to the basement - better air, cooler, inside, close to the panel etc. What I didnt expect was that when pumping, the Rix heated up the basement significantly. More importantly, the Heim join grease started to warm up and give off that characteristic hot grease smell, so even with fans blowing, I got concerned about hydrocarbons. My filter stack does have Hop and carbon, but why knowingly induce nasties in the intake stream?

So a trip to Lowes for some ideas and a saws-all later, I settled on a dryer vent and hose routed through the ceiling. The fun part was deciding how to make a quick-disconnect between it and the Rix. A piece of 3"dia waste pipe and a kitchen sink drain (comes with gaskets!) and this is what I've got. Everything is new and washed and cleaned before install. The down-turned dryer vent on the outside of the house has its internal cap removed and some fiberglass door screen covering the end to keep out the bugs and such.

Attachments

• IMG_6475.jpg
    IMG_6475.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6476.jpg
    IMG_6476.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6477.jpg
    IMG_6477.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 74
Whats with all the tinfoil?

Looks like something NASA would do.

Is there something your not telling us LOL Iain

Whats with all the tinfoil?

Looks like something NASA would do.

Is there something your not telling us LOL Iain

Nope. What you see is what you get. But thats aluminum tape, not foil. Wonderful stuff. But any kind of tape would have worked really, but I like this stuff best for sealing as it forms and stretches. Used a lot on microwave combiners and waveguide joints...and HVAC low velocity ducting.

It did just dawn on me though that you might be refering to the hose coming from the celing. In the US we use mylar expandable dryer hose. Its not foil...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom