Anybody have any Rix parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a 3rd stage separator for a SA6, if anyone has one or might know of another idea let me know.

Thanks-
Chris

Part needed...

Attachments

• 1010141943.jpg
    1010141943.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 1010141944a.jpg
    1010141944a.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 94
Jim Shelden hooked me up with a used Bauer filter! Thanks Jim :banana:

Looking for a 3rd stage separator for a SA6, if anyone has one or might know of another idea let me know.

My first question is Why?

Whats wrong with the old one, a worn 1/4NPT thread is common? but no real problem, a $30 NPT tap and cut a new one deeper.
But reading on to your solution again Why? Why try and fit a Bauer part? its not going to squeeze in between the frame and the shroud for starters.

If its a quick "jury rig" so to speak, to get you going, but you have a Rix not a Bauer?

Now I'm assuming with this "lash up" idea your now going with is with a Bauer "Bullet Separator"
If so it will be fun to see this work out long term on a Rix SA frame.

For others thinking the same "solution" its not such a simple "swap over" of parts.
The Rix 3rd stage separator, part is threaded 1/4 NPT, with stainless fittings for 1/4" imperial inlet tube side, with inlet and discharge positions on opposing sides. The Bauer "bullet" by contrast is with metric threads and for metric tube fittings, and top side mounted.
They are of plated steel, (and not stainless) However in addition to new fittings or adaptors the positions are also different in that the outlet is top.

Although not a major problem on the discharge side being top mounted, but the inlet side on the Rix is a 1/4 OD stainless SAE flareless fitting and olive. IMHO it would be a pity to hack this nut and olive it off as in doing so you shorten the cooling coil and may also add cost for someone else if say a new 3rd stage cooling coil were needed in the future. Or you wish to revert back at some stage in the future to the correct Rix part.

Therefore factor the additional stainless tubing that will be required to fit this bullet separator and more adaptors to convert a 1/4" OD SAE flareless to 10mm tube stub and elbow. The Bauer is also bigger in diameter so in addition you will need a bigger tube clamp bracket, this will also move the centre line outward the tubing will also need adjusting to match.

The centre line are close so if you re hole the frame one hole, you end up with a slot, and even of you move the position outboard of the frame you have then the existing coil hook up to butcher about with.

But the real kicker is that that the Bauer is designed single wide clamp mounting while the Rix is base mounted with a narrow 1/4 rod clamp mounting just positioning. IMHO the Bauer with a single clamp on the Rix frame will last a week if your lucky before it shakes itself off and in doing so wears a groove so deep into it's side wall, you will be back for another.

The final point is your making what is called a "Frankenstein" pump a mix up of other folks parts. No one will support it,
When it comes to selling it you should also expect to loose value especially should a potential new buyer ask advise before buying a Frankenstein build on an open forum like this. Iain

The reason for replacement is the inlet side had a 1" crack starting at the fitting. Upon inspection, it seems that the inlet side had been tapped several times as the fitting has left marks on the inner housing.

Rix separator is aluminum not stainless (and $699.00), so I am not worried that about Bauer being steel... And I will not be cutting any lines.

Resale, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

The reason for replacement is the inlet side had a 1" crack starting at the fitting. Upon inspection, it seems that the inlet side had been tapped several times as the fitting has left marks on the inner housing.

Rix separator is aluminum not stainless (and $699.00), so I am not worried that about Bauer being steel... And I will not be cutting any lines.

Resale, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I am aware the Rix black anodised body is aluminium, it was the fittings I described of 316 stainless and there is a good reason that perhaps you have not considered.

First if this Bauer separator is indeed made of steel, corrosion is not a concern for Bauer when using it as intended with an oil lubricated compressor. As the oil component in the emulsified oil and water condensate discharge acts to protect the metal surface from corrosion.

Conversely used on an oil free oil less Rix, the condensate is now pure 100% distilled water and on contact with this mild steel Bauer component will rust as it has no corrosive protection for either the separator metal shell or the zinc plated fittings, it will all rust day one.

Very quickly the plating will corrode off the fittings and the exposed threads become rusted into the shell, the corrosion expands the thread profile and the female thread on the separator is prematurely "rotted out"

Similarly without the protective emulsified oil film the internal filter shell also begins to corrode and you have around six months before corrosion eat's its way out. The first sign is usually corroded threads seize.

This 100% pure distilled water is also the major reason why the Rix is made using stainless tubing and 316 fittings with anodised aluminium components and not mild plated steel.

As for pricing this $699 is for a new component I guess and Rix would have quoted a mil spec component, the price reflecting all the required documentation and traceability and testing required in manufacturing and suppling a mil spec component, that in many ways you don't fully need yourself.

A commercial SA-6 component product is by contrast considerably cheaper than mil spec but with some availability conditions and consideration from the part of the commercial seller as to who you are and where and when you bought this Rix SA-6 from in the first place.

For comparison it would be interesting to know how much you paid for the Bauer separator and if it's a new component or from reclaimed scrap. Further some Bauer separators were made subject to a replacement order from Bauer while others are subject to a maximum 15 year life span. Neither of which affects non authorised Bauer suppliers and distributors of second hand stuff but non the less a consideration. Iain

As for pricing this $699 is for a new component I guess and Rix would have quoted a mil spec component, the price reflecting all the required documentation and traceability and testing required in manufacturing and suppling a mil spec component, that in many ways you don't fully need yourself.

A commercial SA-6 component product is by contrast considerably cheaper than mil spec but with some availability conditions and consideration from the part of the commercial seller as to who you are and where and when you bought this Rix SA-6 from in the first place.

The $699 is for the commercial version! The Mil-Spec version is $1085!!!!

On a lighter note, I was able to purchase just the body and not the whole separator.

Back
Top Bottom