Recommendations for portable compressors requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KellyAsh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a portable compressor to put on a boat and know nothing about my options, what to look for and what to look to avoid.

Thanks!

Rix SA-6 is probably your best bet, it is what the Navy SEALS take on the zodiacs. Can be gas or electric driven, weigh about 200lbs ish, 6cfm is a good enough fill rate for most boat diving, and it's portable ish. Needs two decently strong guys to schlep around, but it's technically portable. It is oilless, so maintenance is super simple, and it will behave nicely with blend sticks.

I can't seem to find a decent link for them along with prices. Do you know of a good source for them?

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

Rix themselves maybe?

Rix themselves is a good source although new they are quite expensive. You can usually find them used on the tech forums for a few grand. I'm actually finishing one up now that I'll be selling shortly though it is in the Carolinas so shipping may be a bit difficult. $2500-$3k is the going rate for the used ones.

There are relatively cheap shipping options like Navivan that will fill a container full of various people's orders and ship it only once it gets full. They take longer to reach you but it's cheaper than most other options.

I will PM you and we can talk more.

With compressors its easy to make a poor choice and regret later.
IMHO and If possible avoid second hand and use the warranty and technical engineering help from the manufacturer first to assess fully your requirement before buying.

Avoid buying from a dive shop as again they can only sell you what they have or what they stock, there advise is therefore biased to the brand they sell.

First question a competent supplier will ask is always be how big is the boat.
Second is how much power Kva or Kw is the generator and how much spare power have you got. Third is how many divers, and how many fills you need to do in a day. Your options narrow rapidly depending on the answers to the above.

Next its your budget, location and service options depending on the remoteness of the area you wish to operate in and the type of diving you wish to do.
Sport scuba, Nitrox, technical, deep mixed gas and closed circuit would IMHO all have a bearing on the type and model of compressor you should be looking for.

A tad more info from yourself about your requirements and budget range I'm sure the choice will narrow down itself. Not the fist time I've had a portable pump enquiry turn out to be for 12 divers 3 dives a day.

What to avoid on a HP compressor for marine use is easy
1. Anything or part made of steel
2. Anything or part made of steel that is passivated
3. Anything steel that is powder coated
4. Anything made of aluminium that is clear anodised or fancy coloured
5. Anything oil lubricated that cannot operate in angles less than 40 degree
6. Anything with an oil sump that cannot give you both pitch and roll max angles
7. Anything that needs "special tools" to remove the head or valves
8. Anything you don't get a full parts service Price List for

And that just for starters LOL :) Iain

With compressors its easy to make a poor choice and regret later.

Yes, this is why I am asking now so I can get a realistic idea of what I will actually need.

IMHO and If possible avoid second hand and use the warranty and technical engineering help from the manufacturer first to assess fully your requirement before buying.

I agree, and don't mind paying extra for the right compressor.

Avoid buying from a dive shop as again they can only sell you what they have or what they stock, there advise is therefore biased to the brand they sell.

First question a competent supplier will ask is always be how big is the boat.

It's a 32 foot (don't know the make or model) with a new Yanmar. I know nothing else about it right now but will get these questions answered tomorrow.

Second is how much power Kva or Kw is the generator and how much spare power have you got. Third is how many divers, and how many fills you need to do in a day. Your options narrow rapidly depending on the answers to the above.

See above and below.

Next its your budget, location and service options depending on the remoteness of the area you wish to operate in and the type of diving you wish to do.
Sport scuba, Nitrox, technical, deep mixed gas and closed circuit would IMHO all have a bearing on the type and model of compressor you should be looking for.

My budget is around $4000 shipped and plan on going out for 2-3 days at most here of the Northern coast of Honduras with around 4-6 divers diving 4 times a day with some technical diving on air and maybe some Nitrox later on.

A tad more info from yourself about your requirements and budget range I'm sure the choice will narrow down itself. Not the fist time I've had a portable pump enquiry turn out to be for 12 divers 3 dives a day.

I'm taking crews out to kill lionfish with spears and traps.

What to avoid on a HP compressor for marine use is easy
1. Anything or part made of steel
2. Anything or part made of steel that is passivated
3. Anything steel that is powder coated
4. Anything made of aluminium that is clear anodised or fancy coloured
5. Anything oil lubricated that cannot operate in angles less than 40 degree
6. Anything with an oil sump that cannot give you both pitch and roll max angles
7. Anything that needs "special tools" to remove the head or valves
8. Anything you don't get a full parts service Price List

Keeps sounding like the oiless Rix is the best option since I'm mechanically inclined but have never pulled apart a compressor.

And that just for starters LOL :) Iain

Any other questions I can answer to make it easy to help?

Back
Top Bottom