Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide Inspector Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently bought the Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide Inspector for Scuba. Noticed the recal days were 170 when received... Now was running it side by side next to a Kidde home unit in the garage with a car running and got a huge difference in readings! Emailed Sensorcon twice and waiting to see what they say, but was wondering if other owners experienced any issues.

Pictures show reading with the car running for 5 minutes and units 5 feet from exhaust. Should I be concerned?

1203141810.jpg1203141811.jpg1203141812.jpg1203141812a.jpg

Thanks-

If you hold it in /near the exhaust stream for a couple seconds and it does not go up over 300 call them and send it back bad sensor.

I had a sensorcon and didn't trust it. I was experimenting with adding it inline to my fill station. During the trials I found the sensor was exceptionally inaccurate as it was affected by flow rates. It would show ridiculously high or normal levels based on how flow was adjusted. I contacted customer service and they sucked. Eventually I basically got an answer stating it wasn't really created for scuba, so there are some known flow rate issues.

I sold it and moved on. I believe you get what you pay for, but I gave it a shot since it was cheap and had so many great reviews.

It went back for calibration. I doubt I will trust it after this...

Crap.... Looks like another item for eBay.

Ordered myself an Oxycheq CO detector. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Either or both could be faulty, but if you were actually in a garage with 650 ppm CO, congratulations on surviving. The atmosphere of Mars is only slightly higher. Your car is dangerous and dire need to repair too, as modern cars should never produce that much.

Does your Sensorcon react if yo blow into it. A non-smoker should blow a digit or two; a smoker who has had one in the last hour should blow 10 or more. Either or both could be faulty, but I'd be more suspicious of the Kidde,

Ultimate test for me has been to use a bump gas, both straight away and via the flow tube. In my case, the units (I have two) have functioned as expected at both 15 and 20 ppm.

I wear one everywhere, as I don't trust the general public (google the news for "monoxide"), and I look like a geek anyway wearing a phone pouch & camera pouch - don't care. I had to boost my car the other day, so left it running while I put my cables back into my trunk - and it was beeping me a warning.

I have the sensorcon and it is sensitive to flow rate. But so is my O2 analyzer. If you pump up the flow you are essentially pumping up the partial pressure so readings will go up.
I found that using a flow restictor helps. I use the Oxycheq BC flow restrictor to feed O2, CO and HE in series. Seems to work fine.

Edit: After looking at your pics, sure seems like your sensorcon likes 22, seems odd. If you had any repairs done let us know. Thanks.

Edit #2: What SubAqua said, bump gas is the way to go. Let us know how it went. Thanks

Last edited:
So, went ahead and recalibrated both of mine. Reset at 0ppm (walk outside and shake a minute) then run 50ppm calibration gas at .5 lpm for 1 minute. A week later, both are responding as expected to 15 ppm and 150 ppm bump gases, meaning they detect CO at appropriate levels. For accurate detection, either a steady flow or a bag are necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom