To buy a comnpressor or not....newbie spec question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mberry

Registered
Reaction score
Ive just bought myself a prism 2. Im looking into buying myself a compressor to do my own fills.
Air fills are sometimes difficult to get with only one place doing them locally and i do alot of my diving im remote areas/

So im toying with the idea of buying something like a bauer junior, the question is it worth it??

or should i just buy a few bigger tanks and decant to fill the Dil bottle and get myself a booster?

I am sure its been done to death but how many fills should i expect to get out of say a 12ltr faber into 3L rebreather tank?

thanks again

The convenience of owing a compressor cannot be overstated.

I would agree if the OP weren't on a RB. Since he is, I think his money would be better spent investing in a crappy shop compressor, in a baby booster driven by the crappy shop compressor, and a set of 12L doubles and an O2 bottle from the gas house. You can also rent a breathing air bottle from the gas house.

I would agree if the OP weren't on a RB. Since he is, I think his money would be better spent investing in a crappy shop compressor, in a baby booster driven by the crappy shop compressor, and a set of 12L doubles and an O2 bottle from the gas house. You can also rent a breathing air bottle from the gas house.

I think that's a good thought process, but what about filling his bailout tanks. I think he's got more than just RB tanks to fill.

I think that's a good thought process, but what about filling his bailout tanks. I think he's got more than just RB tanks to fill.

He said he has an LDS, even if somewhat distant. Maybe he could fill his bailouts once a year or so, even a little booster is enough to do that....

thanks for the replies.

I have a LDS (of sorts its a bloke at a service station that does fills) not too far away. my biggest concern for needing a compressor is when i go away to for extended trips. (ive got a house on an island, if you want to google is its Wedge Island, south australia) but i think ill get away with having some 12L tanks and a booster. as im running my RB tanks, as wookie said the bailout hopefully shouldnt get touched and most of my dives will be close enough to run the same bailout.

The compressor will be on the cards for later.

What boosters are you guys running? there doesnt seem to be much available down here so id have to look at getting it shipped.

thanks again.

thanks for the replies.

I have a LDS (of sorts its a bloke at a service station that does fills) not too far away. my biggest concern for needing a compressor is when i go away to for extended trips. (ive got a house on an island, if you want to google is its Wedge Island, south australia) but i think ill get away with having some 12L tanks and a booster. as im running my RB tanks, as wookie said the bailout hopefully shouldnt get touched and most of my dives will be close enough to run the same bailout.

The compressor will be on the cards for later.

What boosters are you guys running? there doesnt seem to be much available down here so id have to look at getting it shipped.

thanks again.

The one that Demed has for sale is the best deal in the universe. I can get you a new one, but you'll have to add gauges, hoses, etc. It's the one I use and sell.

* had for sale. he sold it. i was all over that like white on rice when he put it up but unfortunately some lucky bugger got to it before i could.

thank you Wookie and Mberry - the small HI booster (or the petite Haskel) are great booster for a garage fill station - unfortunately (or fortunately) i've just open a shop and larger Haskel are the way to go for me. (i even figured today how to drive them properly)
Yet, now that i have played with a few, the small compact boosters are fantastic.

thank you Wookie and Mberry - the small HI booster (or the petite Haskel) are great booster for a garage fill station - unfortunately (or fortunately) i've just open a shop and larger Haskel are the way to go for me. (i even figured today how to drive them properly)
Yet, now that i have played with a few, the small compact boosters are fantastic.

How were you driving the, compared to now? I've wanted to add a booster to my fill station mostly for boosting deco gas, but I think it's cost prohibitive. I originally had hoped to be able to run one off of my k-14 but all I read is how it's best not to. I keep reading to use a shop compressor but I really don't want to go buy one and I don't really have space.
Finding good info on compressors is easy. Finding info on boosters is much harder.

Back
Top Bottom