Booster considerations- Can A nitrox booster be safe for O2???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubAquatix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First off, should have typed that it was a Nitrogen Booster, then cleaned for O2 use.

I was able to pick up a 5G-TS-30/75 several years ago and have used it without issue. Last month, it finally tired an needed a full rework and I decided to have it done as a factory rework. Again, no issue. However, when I told them I had been using it for over 6 years for O2 use, and had it plumbed in for pure O2 at all times, they became a little sketchy, saying that the unit ran at 75:1, to rich for O2.

I run it very slowly, never letting the out put side exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Typically, it can take a 1000 psi supply bottle and boost to 3000 in a 40ft3 bottle in about 5 minutes, running it in that manner.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is a real danger??

The very short answer- NO

The little longer explanation, maybe, but still no.

Its not just the compression ratio and temperature, its also a matter of lubrication, cleanliness, choices of materials and service parts on the inside.

The freaky hazard-es thing about o2 is that the exact combination of critical mass needed for ignition depends on so many factors that its impossible to say how much the elastic band can take before snapping.

The very short answer- NO

The little longer explanation, maybe, but still no.

Its not just the compression ratio and temperature, its also a matter of lubrication, cleanliness, choices of materials and service parts on the inside.

The freaky hazard-es thing about o2 is that the exact combination of critical mass needed for ignition depends on so many factors that its impossible to say how much the elastic band can take before snapping.

Sorry, I thought I was clear. While a Nitrogen booster, it has been cleaned using O2 seals and lubricants. The unit was also disassembled and O2 cleaned at the component level.

The only difference is the compression ratios.

Why is the compression ratios different. better ? how can the ratios be different. ratio should be a stroke related factor.

Deleted for readability issues

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2015 at 01:58 PM ----------

So, the area ratio determines the maximum amount of pressure that can be developed during a stroke. The materials used in manufacturing are exactly the same, both internally and externally, including seals and O-rings (in order to minimize the number of external vendors) so the only real difference is lubricants (I used Tribolube) cleanliness (yep, all done) and flow control.

Most manufacturers of boosters, for O2 use, like a ratio of 50 or less. At 50, the unit can product an output pressure of 5000psi, and a maximum of 15000. At 75, the normal output is 7000 with a maximum of 25000. Since both of these far exceed the 2500 psi found in a normal cylinder, as delivered, it begs the question, why is a ratio of 75 any more dangerous than a 50.

This is the question that the manufacturers, when asked, never seem to want to answer.

Last edited:
Yes i see the previous post as quite reasonable. the 75 ratio should work faster (all other factors being the same).
There could be problems when you get to 10k or better but when the scuba tank is full at 3500 its full no matter if the compressor can take to 5k ot 15 k.

Back
Top Bottom