Bauer Junior II difference between scuba and paintball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tecrec

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi!

I would like to buy a second hand Bauer Junior II compressor for filling air my scuba cylinders.

The one I found has a triplex P21 filter saying "NO BREATHING AIR".

IMG_1142[1].jpgIMG_1144[1].jpg

I downloaded all the official Bauer manuals but I didn't find any difference.

Does anyone knows what is the difference between scuba and paintball Bauer Junior II compressor or between scuba and paintball P21 triplex filter?

If the photo is of the filter tower, likely nothing more then a major engineering change to accept breathing air filters. prolly costs $1,500.
Really I have no idea and it sure does not make sense.
Unless that is the filter insert and not the p-21 tower. If it is the insert, very likely it does not contain activated carbon. So not suitable for breathing air, maybe just full of M.S.
Call Bauer.

P21 filter is small and will need to be changed about every 20 hours depending on humidity and temperature where you live to give breathing grade air. The filter/moisture trap (P21) only needs a cartridge change for breathing air price less than $50
Jim Shelden
<sheldensportinggoods.com>

Thank you ti325v,

The photo is the P21 tower. The same P21 tower is useb by Bauer both for breathing air (scuba) and paintball.

I am loking for the differences between P21 for breathing air and P21 for non-breathing air.

Obviously, you can change the cartridge and get one for breathing air (all P21 cartridges have the same size).

But why Bauer writes on the filter tower if it is for breathing air or not and not only on the cartridge?

Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Just make sure its not a Chinese ripoff of the bauer or something crazy like that.

I have a Drager DE-100 which is a Bauer under the Drager banner I believe. All the data I see on the accompanying books shows it to be a Bauer Junior II. It takes the P21 cartridge but only has microsieve and activated carbon filter as its electric. Interestingly mine has Drager stickers on it but then the compliance plate shows it as a Bauer along with the manuals. One and the same I think. In any regard its well built and looks like a German compressor, in contrast with the crap Chinese copy of the Coultri I bought first.

If the one you talk about has a triplex filter the filter is for a petrol model? Is the one you are looking at, a petrol model or electric? Is the label saying "not breathing air", on the filter tower or the filter canister inside? If on the tower, perhaps it was sold originally with the tower but no canister inside, thus the duty being paint ball with a condensate tower only. Maybe sold this way to meet the paint ball market without tooling for a different compressor, but sold cheaper as a paint ball compressor only. In other words making the compressor fit all requirements by the removal of the filter canister and adding a label and then sold cheaper. If so it might be a good way to get a quality breathing air compressor at a cheaper price, then just slip in a breathing canister if it will fit in the tower, and hasn't been modified to stop a cartridge being fitted.

I double filter mine with the P21 standard filter on the compressor and then via a personal filter a 0520 replacement cartridge (that suits a number of personal filters as well as the Coltri MCH-6 compressor.)

Thank you frogman62.

As far as I understand, you say that all P21 filters tower & housig are ths same and the only difference is the cartidge you choose.

I believe you are totally right but I can't understand why Bauer has two versions for the same part.

Also, I asked Bauer Germany for this and I will post here any answer from them.

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Thank you Peter69_56,

It is an electric version.

These are some photos of the compressor I talk about:
2015220113612.jpg 2015220113618.jpg 2015220113637.jpg 2015220113647.jpg 2015220113657.jpg

I use the cartridge IMG_1139.jpg for breathing air.

So, again the question is if Bauer has many versions of the same P21 filter for marketing reasons or there are some differences in the technical specifications between scuba and paintball P21 filter tower.

There may be no priority valve on the tower? My hose comes out the top of the tower, and that's where the priority valve is. Without it you cannot get more than 20 min out of a filter element due to flow rates (which is what I had with my chinese Coultri). I will post some pics of mine later today to try and show you the difference that I suspect

It is a standard Junior II but it has a drier only filter cartridge and that is what the sticker reflects. Pull the sticker off and use a triplex filter cartridge instead.

It is a standard Junior II but it has a drier only filter cartridge and that is what the sticker reflects. Pull the sticker off and use a triplex filter cartridge instead.

Thank you rcontera for your reply,

I will do what you suggest.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom