Converting to single phase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abyss_scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks. I had to move my compressor and the new location only has single phase electricty. Got a new Leeson single phase motor to match the old Leeson three phase one but I am stuck as the compressor on switch does not turn the compressor on. Depressing the relay manually does start the motor. Any ideas or a wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like the starter relay coil could be bad, do you have a schematic of the control circuit, it would help.

It was working before the move so I hope it wasn't damaged during. No I was hoping someone here might have a wiring diagram.

What is the starter coil voltage and is the single phase power the same voltage as the old three phase power? How about the transformer supply voltage?

I would check power through the control circuit, starting at the fuse.

You may have to move the line legs to the same ones as the control circuit. In three phase it would not matter, but in single phase you may not be in the right legs. If you move the line wires you will have to move the load wires also to the corresponding legs.

Curious as to why you changed the motor instead of adding a phase converter/vsd(vfd?). The three phase is so much better on equipment at start-up. We do this frequently with pumps in rural areas.

Toady we did move the legs according to the diagram on the cover but I was wondering if any one had run into this before and had a different wiring diagram.

Westfall this was supposed to be a simple and inexpensive fix. when I looked at the cost and efficeinces of convertors my head began to spin.

Stay at home day so hopefully I will have this tackled today, and if my wife is lucky maybe even a little laundry, lol.

OK, I don't have a wiring diagram for you, so I'll explain the best I can.

If you are running single phase power through a 3 phase starter, you can break both hots and the common, but if your coil voltage is 220, you must be sure it is run through both hots, and not a hot and a common. If you do have it wired through a hot and a common, check to see you haven't burned it up, an easy way is with a continuity tester through the coil.

The easiest way to wire it to me is to put line 1 in the L1 spot, and the starter coil should be wired to terminal 1 (same place). Run line 2 through the L2 terminal, and the other side of your 220v to the same place. Run your broken common through L3 or leave L3 empty and run your common directly to the motor.

I think you are putting 120 volts to a 220 volt starter coil and that's your problem.

If you manually override the starter, will the motor turn?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom