Welding versus Medical O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I asked this question in another thread I started, after getting an answer to the original question, but thought I would post a thread about it to get some more people to see it. I have 3 locations locally that can handle O2. One is strictly welding, another was medical but was forced to drop their medical O2 supply, and now only handle welding. The shop that took over their med supply can't supply large industrial size cylinder, only small personal use ones, and a 4th can do either or, but is located further away and therefore their delivery fees are a fair bit higher. So what is the general consensus between using medical O2 versus welding O2 for PP blending?

Thanks,
Jim

I would be safe and stick to medical or aviator grade.. I've seen tanks that are filled for welding that have been sitting with the valves open waiting for fills... and have even looked into some of the tanks.. I didn't like what I saw... Water and rust...

Best Regards,

Dwain

Just from being a pilot I can tell you that Aviator grade is usually more expensive then anything else. Because of liability issues for the FBO, but its worth looking into. I would stay away from welding IMHO

OK, thanks for the input, I know what I have to do. We do have a small municipal/private airport locally, so I might have access to aviators grade (which to be honest I hadn't even thought of) and 2 of my friends just got their private pilot's license so I'll be sure to pick their brain on availability of that.

The only difference between welding grade and medical grade oxygen is the way in which the cylinder is handled (they pull a vacuum on the medical grade tank before filling). Both are filled off the same tower. If your supplier will fill your cylinder at their tower, then, no worries mate!

Just like i wouldnt breathe the air they use to fill tires at the gas station, I wouldnt breathe the O2 they use for welding...
I mean, there IS a reason why there are different grades and I dont really think its ONLY to suck money out of our wallets..
Better safe than sorry is my general rule, believe it or not :p
Well, atleast I can try to be as safe as possible in the supply line, diving does have inherent risks and I dont feel like adding on to them by shortcuting on the gas I breathe.

I'll call my potential suppliers on Monday and ask a few questions regarding their fill procedures then. I'll check with my dive shop on which supplier they use as well. I know they have had the straight green industrial bottles show up from this supplier in the past (as opposed to the green and white medical bottles) and they sent that one back because it had a noticeable smell when we cracked the valve, which is the main reason I'm looking into other suppliers and not just the one they use.

I just bought a lease and my first medical 02 tank. Where i am the medical 02 is only 27.00 a bottle. If you think about it this way it might help, life support, or welding gas? For 27.00 I am life support all the way.
Eric

I use nothing but welding oxygen and have had no problems, no odor, no moisture, nothing. Welding tanks have to meet stringent requirements for containment of oxygen. This includes vacuuming, inspection and hydro testing. In the USA, all oxygen tanks are filled from cryo sources which have zero moisture. The same stuff from the same source goes into welding, aviator, and medical. With medical and aviator tanks, a vacuum is pulled twice instead of once. That is the only difference. It is an attempt to reduce potential moisture which may have entered from the atmosphere to "zero". Welders are particular about the quality of gas. Likewise, medical is 'pharmaceutical' grade which simply means that oxygen meets minimum standards for breathing, eg it does not contain harmful gases, etc. If welding oxygen were diluted with any other gases, not only would welders complain but it could pose a danger to the dealer/refill facility. They are well aware of the need to maintain control over the supply train, including tanks to be filled with welding oxygen. This is the reason that suppliers are reluctant to fill tanks which they do not own. They have less control over quality and safety. I can't speak with experience WRT Canada. However, a "nanny" state like that probably has adequate supervision through regulation or through industry practice and standards like with our CGA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom