Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zodiacdiverdave
  • 1 Post By Zodiacdiverdave

Thread: Bauer Automatic Condensate Drain System question

Registered

Carrabelle, Florida

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos

Bauer Automatic Condensate Drain System question

I have a Bauer Mariner II compressor equipped ith an ACD system. The PLC (electronics) are programmed to drain the system every 15 minutes. Recently I noticed that the system is not draining on its own.

I replaced the solenoid kit, but the system is still not draining.

I checked the wiring at the PLC and there is voltage going to the system. The system lights on the PLC are lit for on the 0,i,2,3 for the "in" part of the PLC and 0, 1, 4,5 on the "out" part of the PLC. The power indicator light is lit, the run indicator light is lit, the error light is not lit, and the stat light is blinking on and off. I have to admit I know knothing about the PLC.

I cleaned the electrical contacts going to the ACD.

The system does drain when I turn the compressor off and the second stage pressure falls below 300 psi.

I have a couple of quick questions:

1. What could be causing the system not to self-drain while the compressor is running?

2. Is there any way I can continue to operate the compressor by manually draining the system, and if so how is this done (do I have to turn off the compressor, wait until the system drains when the second stage pressure declines to 300 psi)?

Thanks in advance for any information!
    Cappyjon431

Dive Safety Officer, Florida State University Coastal and Marine Lab

"You can't run from the wind. you trim your sails, face the music, and just keep going."

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Your ADS solenoid is powered when to unit is running and building pressure. I would check the operation of the valves by disconnecting the electrical plug on the solenoid while the compressor is operating. When the power is removed form the solenoid the drain should operate. If it doesn't then you likely have a problem with the valves and a rebuild may be in order. If it does operate then you have a problem with your PLC. Some PLCs can be reprogramed but requires the oem chip to do it, I am not sure about Bauers new PLC systems.
    If it is the PLC that is at fault then you can manually drain it by removing the solenoid electrical plug every 15 min. just don't bother doing up the screw the plug should remain on without falling off. Check with your Bauer rep for a fix.
    ZDD
    cappyjon431 likes this.

Registered

Compressor Fixer

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    If the unit actually has a drain timer, that might be your problem. I have not done much with units that have the PLC, so I don't know if a timer is used.

Craig

Registered

Carrabelle, Florida

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigAClark View Post
    If the unit actually has a drain timer, that might be your problem. I have not done much with units that have the PLC, so I don't know if a timer is used.

Craig
    Apparently the older models had an analog timer, but the newer models have an electronic PLC and the 15 minute intervals are programmed into the PLC. At this point I would prefer an old fashioned analog timer.
    Cappyjon431

"You can't run from the wind. you trim your sails, face the music, and just keep going."

Registered

Lovin' life

Quote Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
    Apparently the older models had an analog timer, but the newer models have an electronic PLC and the 15 minute intervals are programmed into the PLC. At this point I would prefer an old fashioned analog timer.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get one of these analog timers?
    "We must plant the sea and herd its animals using the sea as farmers instead of hunters. That is what civilization is all about - farming replacing hunting."
    Cousteau, Jacques-Yves (1910-1997)

Registered

Carrabelle, Florida

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacdiverdave View Post
    Your ADS solenoid is powered when to unit is running and building pressure. I would check the operation of the valves by disconnecting the electrical plug on the solenoid while the compressor is operating. When the power is removed form the solenoid the drain should operate. If it doesn't then you likely have a problem with the valves and a rebuild may be in order. If it does operate then you have a problem with your PLC. Some PLCs can be reprogramed but requires the oem chip to do it, I am not sure about Bauers new PLC systems.
    If it is the PLC that is at fault then you can manually drain it by removing the solenoid electrical plug every 15 min. just don't bother doing up the screw the plug should remain on without falling off. Check with your Bauer rep for a fix.
    ZDD
    Hi Dave, thanks for your suggestion for the ACD system. I tried unplugging the electrical plug on the solenoid when the unit was running but the drain did not operate.

I wasn't sure if you meant the valves in the drain system might need a rebuild OR if you meant the valves on the second and third stages might need attention. I am assuming you meant the valves on the drain system, but I installed all new parts and the solenoid kit on the drain system.

I am waiting to hear from Bauer tech support.
    Cappyjon431

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Yes the 2 valves on the ADS. they are fairly easy to do and there is a kit you can get from Lawrence factor or Bauer for these but I would try taking them apart and just cleaning them and lubricating all parts with Dow Corning 111 prior to ordering any parts. Sounds like the pistons are just sticking.
    Make sure that the pressure has bleed down completely prior to servicing them.
    Let us know how you make out with it.
    Good luck
    ZDD
    cappyjon431 likes this.

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwater Ogre View Post
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get one of these analog timers?
    Try Lawrence Factor, they sell them and I am sure there is a LF dealer in your area.
    Note that early model Bauer ADS drains had a solenoid that was only powered to dump unlike the newer units. These can be IDed by the 4 knobs on the ADS block.
    ZDD

Registered

Carrabelle, Florida

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacdiverdave View Post
    Yes the 2 valves on the ADS. they are fairly easy to do and there is a kit you can get from Lawrence factor or Bauer for these but I would try taking them apart and just cleaning them and lubricating all parts with Dow Corning 111 prior to ordering any parts. Sounds like the pistons are just sticking.
    Make sure that the pressure has bleed down completely prior to servicing them.
    Let us know how you make out with it.
    Good luck
    ZDD
    Hi Dave, thanks again for all your help. I tried cleaning up all the parts (totally disassembled the ACD system), to no avail. Bauer suggested a newer model solenoid and coil which apparently are a superior design to the original factory installed unit. I have ordered the parts and am anxiously awaiting their arrival in Panama.
    Cappyjon431

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
    Hi Dave, thanks again for all your help. I tried cleaning up all the parts (totally disassembled the ACD system), to no avail. Bauer suggested a newer model solenoid and coil which apparently are a superior design to the original factory installed unit. I have ordered the parts and am anxiously awaiting their arrival in Panama.
    I hope it works out for you, MAKO compressors had a similar issue with their ADS solenoid valve.
    Let us know if it works out.
    ZDD