This is why I own a CO Monitor..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzuki416

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went on a dive with a friend of mine yesterday. After the dive max depth 8m (25ft) for 50 minutes we got out & they complained of a headache..

This might expain why...

Is that ppm? I'm hoping there's a decimal point there that I can't see.

Usually the co analyzer is used before the dive.

Who does the compressor belong to? Running a compressor cant be taken lightly, there is a lot involved, much of it can be life or death!

No there is NO decimal point....

It actually got up to 110ppm....

This was a friends cylinder filled by a local dive shop 6 months ago. The Dive shop have denied all...(not really a surprise) & the matter has been passed to the HSE.

All my cylinders usually read 0ppm so was a little surprised... Didn't think it read that high...

No there is NO decimal point....

I didn't think so, but I was hoping, for their sake.

I'm an EMT. So for reference on CO levels (for the readers, not the OP, since you have the meter I think you know this already):

100 - 200 parts per million (ppm)
Dangerous: Medical Alert. Emergency conditions exist. Actions: Evacuate the building immediately and check occupants for health symptoms. Advise all occupants to seek medical attention. Occupants should have someone else drive them to a medical facility. If occupants exhibit symptoms of CO poisoning, emergency service personnel must be called. Evacuation is important, but Analysts must not subject themselves to excessive conditions. Maximum exposure time is 15 minutes. Open all doors and windows that can be done quickly. If the home has an attached garage, document CO levels in garage. Disable combustion appliance operation. Continually monitor indoor ambient levels while moving through the building. Once the atmosphere within the structure has returned to safe levels and the appliances have been turned back on, locate the source of CO production for corrective measures.

Thank goodness it was a shallow dive. At 2 atmospheres the effective dose was no more than 200 PPM. At sustained CO concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.

I'm an EMT. So for reference on CO levels (for the readers, not the OP, since you have the meter I think you know this already):

100 - 200 parts per million (ppm)
Dangerous: Medical Alert. Emergency conditions exist. Actions: Evacuate the building immediately and check occupants for health symptoms. Advise all occupants to seek medical attention. Occupants should have someone else drive them to a medical facility. If occupants exhibit symptoms of CO poisoning, emergency service personnel must be called. Evacuation is important, but Analysts must not subject themselves to excessive conditions. Maximum exposure time is 15 minutes. Open all doors and windows that can be done quickly. If the home has an attached garage, document CO levels in garage. Disable combustion appliance operation. Continually monitor indoor ambient levels while moving through the building. Once the atmosphere within the structure has returned to safe levels and the appliances have been turned back on, locate the source of CO production for corrective measures.

Except that is for breathing "air" at 1 atm. The OP was at 25 ft so ~2 atm where the affects are much greater. IRCC the generally accept max for compressed gas is no more than 10 ppm but varies by region and health/safety agency. However, from Analox:

http://www.analox.net/product-docs/manual-91.pdf

2.6 Maximum allowable CO exposure levels
The maximum allowable CO exposure levels for air diving vary in the standards set form one country to another, so you may want to consider referring to the applicable safety standards for your county to determine your maximum allowable CO exposure level.

However, Analox advises that the maximum allowable CO exposure levels should be to that stated in the British Health and Safety Executive (HSE) DVIS9(rev1) document (Diver’s breathing air standard and the frequency of examination and tests (Diving Information Sheet No 9 (Revision 1)).
This states that: Carbon monoxide content shall be as low as possible but not exceed 3 ppm. (For air diving to 50metres)

that is crazy our compressor samples the air coming in and if it reads anything then it cuts off the compressor
of course we fill scba bottles as well as scuba our air is rated medical grade ..

that is crazy our compressor samples the air coming in and if it reads anything then it cuts off the compressor
of course we fill scba bottles as well as scuba our air is rated medical grade ..

Typically the CO monitor on an air compressor monitors the filtered air between the outlet of the compressor and the banks. It is possible to monitor the incoming air, but isn't usually done, because the compressor runs at a slight vacuum, so there is no driving force to push the air through the analyzer.

It is not likely that your air is medical grade because medical is tested after placing it in the cylinder, each batch fill has a sample analyzed, and then the entire batch is certified. It is way more likely that you analyze your air 2-4 times per year to prove that the process is correct. The standard for such a test is CGA Grade E.

But, as you allude, your air is tested and you have a CO monitor. Nice work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom