Mako troubleshooting advise please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skooter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Mako BAM with the 5406E block. My problem is it just started making a terrible knocking noise. It seems to only be doing it when the second stage pressure is building from 50-100 psi, once the pressure is past 100 psi it stops and all is fine.

So far I have changed drive belts and aligned the pulleys

I have removed both second stage valves and they look fine as well as the piston.

Any ideas on what may be causing it?

Better yet does anyone know or recommend a service dept. in the South Dakota area?

One last question. If I where to replace this compressor what brand would you recommend for my area?

Thank you in advance for any input

You broke the 4th stage plunger. Take the first stage discharge valve off and take a peek in there with a flashlight. You'll find that the plunger broke right above the circlip that holds it all together. You're looking at a $2,000 repair bill if you do it yourself. 5406 parts are stupid expensive. How many hours on this machine? The manual says to replace that plunger and liner every 3,000 hours. The 5406 is no longer made, the replacement is about $16k. It is a 5407 block, turn it at the same speed as the 5406 with a 10hp motor, or spin it with a 15 hp and make it a 17 CFM compressor.

Thanks Frank I will look at that. Believe me I have found out the hard way on how expensive parts are for this machine. I currently have 5000 hours on it.

It seems like every part starts at $2000 and goes up. I have little choice but to repair it myself.

Thanks Frank I will look at that. Believe me I have found out the hard way on how expensive parts are for this machine. I currently have 5000 hours on it.

It seems like every part starts at $2000 and goes up. I have little choice but to repair it myself.

If you don't have the universal manual, you should get one. It has way more info than the owners manual. It's available online, too, except the parts list. Bastiges. I have changed out many 4th stage plungers, call me any time and I'll walk you through it. Getting the right circlip pliers will be the hardest part. I also use a brake o-ring tool to help me pull the circlip out.

I wouldn't have anything but a 5406 or 7, but at 5,000 hours, yup, it's time to start replacing things. Make sure your cooling coils are tight in the holders, those coils can't be fixed. They can be made, however. All but the 4th stage.

I have 2 of them, they are AC units and not BAM units. I have about 15,000 hours each, but it was an expensive journey.

Thank you so much for the information. That's more than I have got in an entire day of calling suppliers and service techs.

One question, I am having a terrible time tracking down a parts supplier, who do you use? I'm beginnig to feel like I may need to meet someone in a dark alley.

Next stop is the universal manual. I had never even heard of it before.

Thank you so much for the information. That's more than I have got in an entire day of calling suppliers and service techs.

One question, I am having a terrible time tracking down a parts supplier, who do you use? I'm beginnig to feel like I may need to meet someone in a dark alley.

Next stop is the universal manual. I had never even heard of it before.

Survival Air Systems in Lake Jackson, TX. 979-299-3399. Diane is the person who answers the phone, Gary is the technician. I bought the Spree from Diane and Gary. Tell them I told you to call. Breathing Air Concepts in Key Largo, FL. Rob Blessor is your guy. 305-451-2440.

What oil are you using?

Edit. Linky to the universal manual.

Update

Frank you are spot on on the plunger. I have one being sent and should have it Thursday. Thank you for your diagnostics and the link. Looks pretty straight foreword but if I run into any problems I may take you up on the phone call.

Next time I'm in Key West dinner and drinks are on me! That may be sooner than later.

I owe you one

Update

Frank you are spot on on the plunger. I have one being sent and should have it Thursday. Thank you for your diagnostics and the link. Looks pretty straight foreword but if I run into any problems I may take you up on the phone call.

Next time I'm in Key West dinner and drinks are on me! That may be sooner than later.

I owe you one

How does the top of the first stage piston look? I've had parts bounce around in there for a while and they beat up the top of the piston but didn't scratch the jug. Machine still running, but look at those piston walls carefully when you have the 4th stage jug off.

Will check it out better when the new parts arrive but by looking in it doesn't appear to n=be any damage to the top of the piston and the walls look good. Maybe I will get a lucky break.

Will check it out better when the new parts arrive but by looking in it doesn't appear to n=be any damage to the top of the piston and the walls look good. Maybe I will get a lucky break.

Sometimes the damage Wookie is talking about isn't visible until you remove the jug. I have seen the top of the 1st stage piston get crushed enough that the c-clip was almost impossible to remove and seating the new plunger and c-clip was out of the question. A new 1st stage piston was also required. I work as a technician for a Mako distributor. We mainly service fire depts. You'd be amazed at some of these units. I have a few machines on my route that are over 5 years old and haven't even seen 50 hours yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom