Old Ingersoll Rand Surplus Compressor Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quickenberger

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for any info I can find on this Ingersoll Rand Compressor. The hard to read data tag on it says 15cfm, 4000psi. I haven't found a serial number on it yet but will keep looking. Its driven by a Wisconsin 4 cyl air cooled engine. Everything is there and I am working on getting the engine running. I have scoured the web trying to find info on these compressors. Does anyone know what they would be worth fully operational? There are three tanks on the underside of the unit that hold over 3000 psi air. They were used for starting aircraft engines during Vietnam I believe. I am not sure how to post pictures of it.
Thanks for the info!!

Not likely as much as you'll put into it getting it running. Use it for yourself. It will cost you a grand to put air filtration on it, then it will be worth $800.....

It does have discharge filters to separate out water and oil. There are two and you place filter #2 into filter #1 and replace filter #2 at prescribed intervals depending on ambient temperature. I got it pretty cheap and the engine is very clean inside and cranks over, has spark (even though its weak), and the compressor rotates, and does compress.

I don't know what kind of filters you have. For Grade E air (breathing grade) you need at minimum an oil water seperator between each stage, you can rig it with manual blowdowns, then you must blow down every 15 min while running. Your IR was probably not set up for continuous duty as an air start compressor, so it may or may not have the separators. Then you'll need a final separator and filter. Something like an AF-541-103-F from Lawrence Factor will set you back $1,400.

For a project like this, you really need to know what your doing, and what the gas requirements are before you go out and spend a bunch of money trying to make an air start cart into a breathing air compressor. I don't know where in Utah you are, but Randy and Josh Thornton have a dive shop in Draper. They will know enough by looking at it to tell you whether this will be a project you can do safely and with a positive outcome.

Thanks for the info. I will try to get a hold of Randy or Josh. If someone wants to use this as a paintball or even CNG compressor then I am ok with that too.

Aero Dri Corp 5000 PSI Desiccant Filtration Housing Cartridge | eBay

We use these.

They hold about 1 quart of Media... good for about 2-3 months with us. You simply need to add screens and synthetic felt pads.

Our primary for the longest time was an IR 15T4 3500 psi 15 cfm unit. It was a workhorse and is twice the size of our current Bauer. It's currently down due to valve issues. :(

In a paintball application it would be fine.

Thanks for the info on the local reps. I have removed the schematic panel and found that there are water separators after each compression stage and a oil and water separator before the air goes into the three large storage tanks. (approx 120 cu ft each) You can bypass the storage tanks with some of the valves but generally people don't when using these for aircraft starts. The Russian Yak uses air starts still today. Everything is there including the desicant filter housings, timer controlled condensate dump, storage tanks, etc.

Nice. Are those interstage separators auto drain (with solenoid) or manual? Is the final separator auto or manual? Sounds like all you need is filtration and an air test and you're all set. If you do sell it as a breathing air compressor, consider changing the mineral oil out for a diesther synthetic compressor oil.

Value? What the market will bear. For a 13 CFM of that vintage, I'd start around $5k and see where it goes.

Back
Top Bottom