ASME Bottle takes a ride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a new compressor coming tomorrow, and they guys were taking the 4 ASME bottles out of our old compressor rack, and moving them. While moving one of them, the bottle slipped about 2inches from their hands and the valve sheard off of the bottle. The compressor rack, and the slight slippage, could have resulted in a very bad accident. Luckily nobody was hurt, but please use this as a reminder that even while trying to do things right, an accident can happen.

Here is the video we took off our security system. The tank shot into the water tubs we use to clean equipment and then hit a drysuit shelf. Luckily those shelves also were just moved to make room for our rear door to open for the compressors to be moved in/out. You can see the force it hits the water tubs with....again, please be careful with tanks. We move a lot of tanks every day, and just wanted to post this as a reminder to everyone to please be careful as there is a lot of pressure in cylinders.

Holly cow! That bottle moved the tub of water like it was a toy! Could have easly taken a foot off or broken it up badly.

Holly cow! That bottle moved the tub of water like it was a toy! Could have easly taken a foot off or broken it up badly.

Ya, those tubs are pretty heavy when filled, and it blasted them like nothing

When we were kids, we thought this was a fun thing to do with the little home oxygen bottles - put 'em up on a ramp and sledge the valve off. No abandoned car was safe from us.

Nowadays I recall all the junk we smashed them into and think my god, now I'm strapping myself to one!

The guys in the video didn't seem to be too worried. How much pressure was in the cylinder?

ASME bottles are not T bottles. The don't have caps, and there is a valve on both round ends. The sit in special vertical or horizontal racks. They also weigh about 400lbs compared to a T bottle weighing much less. They are pricey, but NEVER need a hydro and are 6000psi cylinders.

So, no, there is no opportunity for it to have a protective cap. When taking it out of the rack, it slipped sbout 2 inches snd the valve knocked into the steel rack, shearing off the valve

Back
Top Bottom