Dumb stick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoxHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm building a nitrox stick and I have a pretty dumb question about the stick but from some reason it eludes me tonight.

I'm using 4" ABS and a nice collection of practice golf balls. I want to separate them into 3 layers for a nice even blend with no straight passage down with some wire mesh screening.....but I cant for the life of me think of a way to mount the mesh inside the pipe.

Suggestions?:idk:

I probably wouldn't use golf balls. I'd probably use Bio Balls or Whiffle Balls. Then you don't need mesh. The orientation of the Whiffle or Bio Balls should mix the gas pretty well.

Ok, i'll give it a shot.....worst thing that happens is some spiking o2 readings or it drops suddenly but I think it will be all good.

The practice golf balls are whiffle balls.....I didnt think anyone would know what I was talking about if I said whiffle balls haha

The balls jump around and agitate as the compressor is running. It does a pretty good job mixing.

My stick originally had a little bit of jetting at first, where from time to time the oxygen would find a path of least resistance and make a straight shot through the bioballs. It wasn't a big deal. It just was an occassional 10% spike, not like 100% going into the compressor. I used the plastic brillo pad type stuff you use for cleaning dishes and made 3 layers of bioballs separated by the brillo pad stuff. It completely fixed the problem.

http://www.twinsupply.com/janitorial/images/100/PAD235.JPG

something like that?

not worried about bits of that breaking?

Yes kinda like that. But good quality ones. I'm less worried about bits of those than bits of metal from screening. The guy who recommended it is a Bauer tech who sells professionally made nitrox sticks used in dive shops all over Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom