First-Time blending of my own Nitrox...Amateur Here...Looking for your Thoughts!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyrotrons

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All.

I just acquired a load of Nitrox-blending equipment. My specific questions first, followed by further discussion:

1. Is anyone here diving Nitrox blends where the Oxygen originates from Invacare medical equipment?
2. Potential dangers of breathing higher-than-normal Argon concentrations at high pressure (the Invacare system is more accurately an atmospheric Nitrogen DE-concentrator...not an Oxygen concentrator)
3. Measurement and characterization of the exact output of an Invacare Oxygen concentrating system (percentages of gases)
4. Potential hazards of a setup that I outline below.
5. ANY other contributions you would have, to myself, an amateur intent on blending his own Nitrox.

My opening discussion:

I'm brand-new to the World of SCUBA gas mixing. I'm well rounded, have excellent skills with hands-on physics, can proficiently interpret advanced gas & electrical schematics, and have fully read the document in the sticky at the top of this page pertaining to contamination of SCUBA gases. Also have a Nitrox cert and 40 dives on air.

I (eventually) intend to use the equipment I'm about to describe to fill my own tanks; never anyone else's. I'm doing this not to save money, but because I'm powerfully drawn to being self-sufficient, and I love amateur and practical application of the sciences.

I am getting this stuff for next to nothing ($1000.00 for these things + twin O2-clean AL80's with manifold and one 1st+2nd stage reg + Single AL80 with regs.) It's from a friend of a friend, I am so incredibly fortunate to receive it all.

1. 5 horsepower gas-engine (Honda GC160) driven SCUBA compressor from 1966, that was originally used for flamethrowers in the Vietnam war. Apparently the Vietnam-era compressor itself has less than an hour of total time on it.

2. An Oxygen concentrator made by Invacare (I'm not sure which model... probably Home Fill 1 or 2 (HFI or HFII) Google Keyword: Invacare Home Fill 2

3. Some kind of high pressure O2+Air mixing unit, that I have no info on yet.

It's a complete setup to blend Nitrox. Apparently, if I wanted to, I would be able to blend dive immediately. I won't, but all of the above equipment was dived on recently by the person giving it to me.

Thanks & regards,

- J

I'd suggest taking the appropriate gas blender courses. It's worth the few hundred dollars to keep from killing yourself. You don't know what you don't know, and there's no chance in hell I'd trust internet advice with this level of risk.

You have lots of questions, but you don't have all the questions you should be asking. I agree with Superlyte; Take the course before you attempt blending your own. No need to re-invent that wheel on your own. You could harm/destroy equipment and even yourself.

I have been blending nitrox for 20 years and trimix for 10. You can start with the oxy-hackers handbook by Vance Harlow (airspeed press). Then go take a class to learn what you don't know.

I have been blending nitrox for 20 years and trimix for 10. You can start with the oxy-hackers handbook by Vance Harlow (airspeed press). Then go take a class to learn what you don't know.
That is a good book and will often take you outside of the normal class' purview. But Wookie is right and to take it further: you will learn what you don't know that you don't know.

I agree that you need to take a good blending class.

Additionally, the home fill system is a compressor, not a concentrator if i remember correctly. You would need a Concentrator as well. Not sure how well all of this would work for your desired purpose, but im interested to see how it turns out. Are you going to modify the homefill system to fill scuba tanks instead of medical cylinders? Remember to analyze the O2 after you have filled, because that system starts filling once >90% o2 has been established on the intake. You may be getting 100%, or you may be getting 92%. Also....that system will only fill to 2000psi or so, so if you plan on filling pure O2 deco bottles in the future, you will still need a haskel pump.

Good luck, and dont kill yourself.

With high pressure oxygen, what you don't know CAN kill you in a horrific manner.

The PADI DSAT Gas Blender book is written quite well. It is worth reading on its own, and it errs on the side of safety. Or you can take the full course.

spins cylinder, cocks hammer, puts barrel to temple.......

What kind of filtration do you have, or plan on getting? I would also recommend purchasing a CO meter that can monitor your fill system continuously. Of course testing is the surest way to make sure the gas is breathable.

You just bought a high quality, but finicky manufacturing factory. +1 on get yourself the requisite classes and read everything you can on all your gear before you push the start button. Its not complicated stuff, but it is the little things that will bite you.

Then come back here and start a thread to ask questions and document what you do (with pics please). Probably 50% of the advice will not be helpful, but the other 50% will be priceless and lead you into the right direction for knowledge. Ask me how I know...!

---------- Post added March 8th, 2014 at 08:47 AM ----------

spins cylinder, cocks hammer, puts barrel to temple.......

And first up, a test: Which 50% is this in? (Hint: not everyones answer will the same...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom