MCH v Poseidon Bauer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Looking closely at these two in the McH13/PE200 range.

Personal plus some friends and students, as my LW100 is too loud, too frantic and too slow.

Is it a no brainer to go for the PE200 at a 15% premium, or is that extra money Incan spend on a hop up kit, and extra cooling with the cheaper Coltri?

25-35 degrees ambient, so will be adding extra filtration and seperator to either, maybe later in a few years pump more, but for now, a few hours a week.....

How much better Is the Bauer block? Esp when not using continuously?

Looking closely at these two in the McH13/PE200 range.

Personal plus some friends and students, as my LW100 is too loud, too frantic and too slow.

Is it a no brainer to go for the PE200 at a 15% premium, or is that extra money Incan spend on a hop up kit, and extra cooling with the cheaper Coltri?

25-35 degrees ambient, so will be adding extra filtration and seperator to either, maybe later in a few years pump more, but for now, a few hours a week.....

How much better Is the Bauer block? Esp when not using continuously?

If your limiting yourself to comparing just these two models then IMHO
No brainer, just surprised so little more at 15% for the IK120 three stage block.

Neither models are the best for your hot climate application but given a choice between these two.

The box standard PE200TE with the P21 triplex filter but with a P41 or equivalent filter as an additional wall mounted stand alone filter unit.

Run both as re packable with after brand 316 stainless insert cartridges and a visual indicator set at 20/40/60% RE off the P21 and a second indicator 10/20/30% relative humidity off the P41 (note not the offered P42 filter)

The PE200TE runs Three stage 1250 RPM stages 1st and 2nd stage splash lubricated with the final 3rd stage using the new polymer rings (similar to a RIX SA-6 final stage) has a small low pressure 5bar oil pump and a bigger 2.6 litre oil sump. This is compared to the older 1.6 litre sump
To compensate for heat they fit a new designed "sickle" fan

The IK120 block weakness is the high blow by (25lpm) as opposed to the older block with less than half that.

The Coltri by comparison is a smaller pistoned block running faster 1350 RPM also 3 stage but only splash lubricated using oil throwers on 2nd and 3rd stage and a pitiful oil vapour lube tube for the 3rd stage

Neither of them give you the piston diameters or the rod stroke so you cant really make an engineering comparison. Also finding out the simple question of the oil sump capacity is also like looking for Hen's teeth as they both omit from the manuals.

Filtration length and diameter also critical information neither are willing to disclose
But from memory the Bauer is around 50% greater capacity and for that alone in a hot climate would be a factor.

I would discount the Coltri narrow tube filter as not being any way near close a contender for an adequate filter tower.

Also check out spare parts pricing and maintenance schedule with both brands before you pull the trigger so to speak.

To me at least its annoying that Coltri in there new online manual have removed both the oil capacity and piston diameters and go to great length with a plethora of unnecessary junk information yet take out the two critical items of info you need to make an informed choice. But hey ho out of the two options given we just made the choice easier for you I guess. Iain

Thanks Iain, I've got most of the bits, eyeballs, PMV and checkvalve, do I remember right you have a range of towers? The US websites are bewildering vague with towers and cartridges, and I'd much prefer to repack, as any cartridges here are twice the price.

Thanks Iain, I've got most of the bits, eyeballs, PMV and checkvalve, do I remember right you have a range of towers? The US websites are bewildering vague with towers and cartridges, and I'd much prefer to repack, as any cartridges here are twice the price.

The after market filters for the American market tend to operate with a simpler range using two filter tower lengths, an 18 inch and a 33 inch long tower.

Both filter shells are 98mm OD diameter with a male 1/2 inch spigot internally for the cartridge, known as a MAKO spigot.

This in turn takes either a 2-1/2" (63.5mm) stainless repack cartridge or the slightly larger 2.625" (67mm) diameter plastic Lawrence Factors cartridges.

For UK to suit the various frame sizes we have a 12 inch, and 14 inch, as well as the standard 18 inch in the MAKO spigot. With in addition for the longer lengths a 22 inch, 27 inch, 30 inch as well as the standard 33 inch to suit various frames.

Again all either in the MAKO spigot or to add to your complications with a female UK spigot to suit various packages and UK frame sizes.

All take a 63.5mm diameter stainless repack cartridge or the 67mm plastic LF cartridge for the 18 an 33 inch long units.

For Europe in general the outside shell diameter increases from 98mm to 102mm and the spigot connection changes from male to a female AKA to the Bauer double 0-ring seal connection with a small vent line and similar lengths to the USA of around 18 inch and 33 inch albeit in metric.

The size and fit is identical and corresponding to the Bauer P41 and P61 range of filters using the same cartridge or again the option of a stainless repack cartridge.

This increase in diameter to 102mm is to allow the larger diameter 70mm Bauer P41 or P61 Filter cartridges to be fitted.

For your location I would go for the Bauer P61 size then you have all three options covered, a stainless repack for general use, and the LF cartridge or Bauer P61 local purchase if you need back upper if your chemical supplies fail.

Other reason for the P61 size is simply its small additional cost than a P41 size. From memory its only around £80 ($130) more to machine the longer filter shell.
If cost is a consideration then the 33" Mako filter with a stainless repack is the cheaper option but your limited to only the LF cartridge for back up. Iain

Thanks Iain, I'll be hopefully ordering the unit the next couple of days, then I'll drop you a note. P41/61 size sounds like the way to go ( I guess until I see the price!) cheers Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom