battery change on suunto stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i know that officially the battery on the stinger is not user replaceable. however, it is fairly easy to buy the battery replacement kit consisting of an o-ring and the battery. anyone here know how difficult it really is. do you need a special tool to unscrew the bezel? any other major obstacles? thanks,
martin

I know they pressure test it after they replace the battery. I switched to a sensus for recording after I got the bill for my stinger battery replacement.

Spectre:
I know they pressure test it after they replace the battery. I switched to a sensus for recording after I got the bill for my stinger battery replacement.
i hear you. that's why i am asking. the replacement kit costs less than $6.

It is easier than taking to the dive store.
1. The battery is from Radio Shack, CR2430, cost $3.45.
2. Next step take a piece of wood or MDF, a nice hand size, mark 3 points in a triangle 44.6mm (1.75") apart, use a pair of dividers for example. Get 3 allen head screws M4.0, They have a 7mm diameter head, (if you use different size adjust the centre distance by the difference in diameter), drill three 1/8" holes at the points of the triangle and screw in the screws with a hexagon hole for the wrench. This tool removes the bezel on the face of the computer using the little scoops out of the side of it.
3. Remove the screwed bezel.
4. CAREFULLY remove the glass face, there is a small slot at the side to help you.
5. EVEN MORE CAREFULLY remove the small rubber O ring seal and inspect for damage/cracks.
6. Remove the plastic face with all the graphics on it
7. CAREFULLY remove the computer module, take care there is a ribbon tape underneath that you do not disconnect
8. Remove the clip holding in the battery and remove, note the right way up
9. insert new battery
10. replace battery clip
11. most importantly, on the face of the computer there is a tiny reset button. use a needle or paperclip to press. I missed this and spent two days wondering why the 'ACW' was dsplayed permanently. I emailed Suunto and they said it must be defective and post it back to Finland!!!!
10. assembly is the reverse of the above. I used silicone grease on the rubber O ring to prevent nipping and ensure a good seal.

I tested it in the bath first, then did a second pressure test with a 130' (40m)dive!

Sounds complicated because I gave too much detail, but it is easy really. I am taking this time to write it all as I felt ripped off every time I got it replaced....

All I ask is a thank you if you use it...

Thats fantastic info...what happens if the "pressure test" fails? A friend of mine,several years back, took a Seiko divers watch to a local jeweler with the instructions to send back to Seiko. The store owner did the service. The watch flooded. He got a better model of Seiko.

If I screw up the battery replacement will Suunto upgrade me to a D8?

Ron

I ordered the kit to do this from Germany about 1.5 weeks ago. It came today and I changed the battery in one of my Stingers in about 15 minutes. The other one is about due too, just have to get the battery.

Here is a link to the kit.

http://www.smartinterface.de/artikel.php?id=24&kat=5

It was 25 euro for the kit and about 8 for the shipping. Total was like 40 bucks or so IIRC.

I think a battery change at Suunto is about 75 bucks. Since I have 2 Stingers, this is awesome.

You can buy batteries and o-rings on Ebay for about 9 bucks. I know you can buy batteries locally for a few bucks, not sure how important it is to change the o-ring, but for 10 bucks and the ease I will just order the kit.

Mark

Hi there!

Just about to go off on holiday again, and the smolk in the beaker is as always... swapping battery!!

So, very pleased to see this. Did you get the kit, and did it work out to expectation? Would be great with some feedback - and they should have a big-seller on their hands!?

Thank you,
Rikard

Hi there!

Just about to go off on holiday again, and the smolk in the beaker is as always... swapping battery!!

So, very pleased to see this. Did you get the kit, and did it work out to expectation? Would be great with some feedback - and they should have a big-seller on their hands!?

Thank you,
Rikard

Are you asking me? If so, I received my kit in about a week from Germany to California.

I did two battery / o-ring swaps for a total of about 50.00. The next two will cost me about 10 bucks, if that.

I've had both of them in the water, but neither very deep as I don't really SCUBA anymore, just freedive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom