Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CineDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello my fellow 'scubians'

I am wanting to create an awareness for manufactures, which will let them know that the Mac Users are here and wanting support, just as the Windoz guys. Without this info, developers such as Mark Rosenstein with DiveLog http://www.macdivelog.com, are not getting support from companies such as Suunto.

Now I just dropped one hell of a chunk of change down on a new D9 from DiveTank.com and this would be my second Suunto. I've worn an X-Lander everyday as my primary watch for years. My thing is this... if companies such as Suunto are not going to program for Mac or even planning to release the software down the road, why wouldn't you give programmers such as Mark the info they need to release Apps for the Mac.

I challenge Suunto or any other Manufacture to give a logical response to this problem! I always find that friendly competition only means better results in all ways from Application to Support.

Virtual PC is NOT the answer!!!! Its clunky and XP sucks! (to be so frank)

Case example for GPS road & street navigation: "Route 66" really really sucks... but its the only game intown (or atleast when I was forced to buy it!)

Please List How many Macs you own (I've got 3 and #4 coming soon) and what you would like to have supported. We can then start to refer to this tread for awareness. Also list any equipment manufactures that do support Mac OSX users (OS9 is same boat as VPC). If companies don't support Mac Users, why should we support them?

P.S. If you have any great Mac & Scuba links please post also!!!

'Mac'ingly yours

-CineDiver, churning the waters

CineDiver:
Please List How many Macs you own (I've got 3 and #4 coming soon) and what you would like to have supported. We can then start to refer to this tread for awareness. Also list any equipment manufactures that do support Mac OSX users (OS9 is same boat as VPC). If companies don't support Mac Users, why should we support them?

I have an Oceanic and would like to see Mac support for it but I am not going to hold my breath given the Windows version of the software is poorly developed and supported. Frankly it seems to me the best thing would be for all manufactures to open up the code so any developer can build the applications and take this responsibility away from them.

Alex

AlexRodriguez:
I have an Oceanic and would like to see Mac support for it but I am not going to hold my breath given the Windows version of the software is poorly developed and supported. Frankly it seems to me the best thing would be for all manufactures to open up the code so any developer can build the applications and take this responsibility away from them.

Alex

As a linux user, I defintely agree with this. Besides, keeping or upgrading the software independantly of the dive computer would be a real boon.

AlexRodriguez:

Alex

I echo your sentiments as well. I have an Aeris (same thing as Oceanic) and the software is rudimentary and poorly developed at best.

I've always said that once an app is created to allow me to run PC SW at 100% speed (ie- FPSes), I will buy a mac.

I have a mac mini (OS X) and an 10 year old mac clone (OS 9!).

I want a dive log widget, that interfaces with my dive computer through bluetooth, with dive logs and dive profiles that can be shared over the net.

6 Macs and one PC laptop from ebay just to download dive data

Cochran and Mares computers

One iMac G4 500
One 450 Cube -the coolest.
One 20 inch iMac G5 2Ghz
One old PC laptop to download data for my Aeris Elite which I then convert over to Scubase for actual use.

I feel the pain. Kick-***, java open source dive software might force the manufactures to conform to some sort of standard that could solve this issue.

Heliox seems to have the right idea by making their Tachyon simulator Java based and cross platformed. Others need to grasp this concept.

W

3 Macs, Dive Rite and Uwatec computers.

Partial reason that Uwatec lost a sale because of the lack of Mac support.
Dive Rite doesn't support it either, but the computer can scroll through the recorded data.
No way I'll buy a Wintel box just for downloading dive computers.

I'd like to see Mac support for the Hydrospace Explorer.

http://www.gpsnavx.com/

GPSNavX and MacENC aren't diving apps per se, but are very nice Marine navigation GPS apps for MacOS X that Mac using divers may find useful.

I'm upgrading an Apple PowerBook G3/333 Lombard to MacOS X 10.3.9 to run MacENC on in the next few months.

Number of Macs? My Business has an Apple PowerMac G5 2x2.3GHz, a Mac mini, and an Apple PowerBook G4/550 (upgraded w/ Superdrive)... A I said, the older PowerBook G3/333 (my father's) is being set up for MacOS X and MacENC shortly.

Having some MacOS X diving software on it would be great. If hardware producers don't want to invest the $$$ in making MacOS X software available, they could a least open up the APIs and allow members of the community to develop solutions.. either way, if the software became available, my father and I (both divers and Mac users) would prob. buy the software, and buy new dive equipment that the software was written for. (haven't bothered w/ any of the dive computers due to the lack of Mac support) Learned to dive w/o them, why waste the $$$? Esp. if they don't support the MacOS?

jwd

Back
Top Bottom