Timex Helix Battery Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Timex Helix DM whose battery seems to have given up. I have the watch open and there is a some sort of battery cover with a sticker that says DO NOT PEEL. I can't quite see how the battery gets released. I don't want to force something and ruin the thing. No mention in my manual even though it's a whole book.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Pete

I also took mine apart when it stopped working thinking I could just pop in a new battery and ran into the same problem of trying to figure out how to pull out the old battery, (without peeling the DO NOT PEEL label) so I admitted defeat and took it to the neighborhood jeweler/watch repair shop. The technician put in the new battery and put it back together for $20 (including the price of the battery). I'll bet that any technician familiar with Timex watches could do it.

Ok so I need a diving jeweler (or other clever mortal) that can tell me which to pins to push to open Pandora's box. It's gotta be simple there are just a lot of little clips and pins surrounding the battery.

Pete

Pete--

I bought some batteries and replaced them last summer in all four Helix DM's we have in the family. I'm not at home now, and can't check; but I seem to remember there was something there that made me hesitate a bit.

Whatever it was, I dove right in and gently did what it looked like I had to do. It worked, in all four cases. Only thing that made me worry, of course, was screwing up the o-rings.

I know, not much help... except that there was no magic to it, and I didn't need a watchmaker or a pin decoder.

Hmmm... on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd risk opening of these cases open just to check... unless you're really stuck...

--Marek

I replaced the battery in mine, after it got wet. From what I remember, the sticker inside is there to tell you how to reset the watch once you install the battery. The cover has a few fingers on it. These have tabs on the ends, and fit into holes in the watch body. I used a pair of tweezers and pulled these out, then replaced the battery.
good luck.

jdr159:
I replaced the battery in mine, after it got wet. From what I remember, the sticker inside is there to tell you how to reset the watch once you install the battery. The cover has a few fingers on it. These have tabs on the ends, and fit into holes in the watch body. I used a pair of tweezers and pulled these out, then replaced the battery.
good luck.

Are you saying that the little tabs actually came out as separate parts?

No, they're part of the cover. Use the tweezers to pull the fingers back from the hole. This will expose the tab that's holding the fingers in the hole. Then just pull up on the finger. Repeat on each finger until you have the cover free. Take off, replace the battery and then reverse the process.

I tried replacing the battery on mine---BROKE the watch and had to get a new one...dummy me......2 small clips hold the battery in place but it is a bugger!!

Victory!

OK, here's what I have learned.....

When the battery is about to go the watch will get flaky, the watch will respond erratically to the crown control.

These watches have been in the supply-chain long enough that they are about to die on the shelves. The watch in question was purchased in 12/05 and only saw a little bit of use. Honestly I don't know if the battery load is any heavier when it is in active use or not. At $20. they are still a bargain.

The battery you will need is a CR2032

The case opens with the 4 screws (DUH)

The battery retainer has a sticker that says DO NOT PEEL. There is no need to peel it so don't.

The release point is at the point on the retainer near the center of the watch. If you examine it you will see that there are 2 small legs extending down into the bowels of the watch and they are part of the retainer stamping. The legs are connected down below making a shape like this: I_I They extend down around a little plastic catch feature.

What you need to do is get the bottom of that I_I shape forward up around and over the plastic feature and then it will open up. I used my smallest flat bladed jewelers screwdriver to work the legs up alternately. The plastic feature is actually notched out in the middle and I bet a needle could reach in there and spring it open easily. I will try that next time.

New battery, reset the retainer in the reverse fashion, a little silicone on the seal to keep it happy and tighten the 4 screws.

The watch was restored to crisp responsive behavior. It makes me wonder how many were scrapped for need of a simple battery change.

Thanks for then help everyone!

Pete

PS That jeweler is doing OK at $20 a pop.

A good way to accomplish the battery replacement in the Helix is to make a tool from a sewing needle. Select a fairly large needle. Then push the sharp end of the needle into a pencil eraser to shield the point. Next, clip off most of the end of the "eye" leaving a fork shaped remainder. Insert the forked end into the slot in the center tab of the battery retainer and push down on the "U" shaped clip and rock the clip outward. The hold that outward force and release the downward push........ and up she rises. The rest is easy. Remember to recoat the O-ring with silicone and carefully replace it in it's groove. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom