Okay, choice time: Suunto D9 or VR3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliotD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay, here is the deal. I ordered a Suunto D9 w/ transmitter from my LDS about a week before the recall. I still dont have it and they have my money (~$1600). I got the Suunto because its a nice computer, I like they way it shows dive info and its air integrated. Now here is the question, it occurs to me that a well equipped VR3 is about the same cost. Is that a better choice?

Clearly the VR3 takes one further in diving than a D9, on the other hand, its serious overkill for me right now. I dive Nitrox, i have played with some light deco diving but I dont dive trimix or CCR. I imagine in the next year or so I will do trimix...CCR at some point too, but by then I am sure the VR3 will be eclipsed by something else.

The D9 is a super nice computer and a great info display. Its air integrated (which isnt that big a deal but I like it) and it is about at the upper edge of my diving right now.

Any thoughts?

A few friends have the VR3's and love them. One has a black and white screen and wants the color. I'm just jealous of them all :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Buy the D9! You can always use it in the future in gauge mode as a very good looking backup on your wrist.

Cheers.

-J.-

I would think that D9 is best for today. Tomorrow will bring better trimix computers and at less cost. Plus, you may never dive trimix, et al.

Regardless of which way you go, keep your SPG for safety. I know the VR3 is not AI, though.

If you know for sure you will be doing Trimix within the next year, I'd definately go with the VR3. D9 is an awful expensive bottom timer.

ForTheFight:
<snip> I imagine in the next year or so I will do trimix...CCR at some point too... <snip>
Spend it now, or spend it later...if your choice is solely between these two, and you must have a computer for mix, get the VR3.

OTOH, it is well known that V-Planner and a bottom timer are a hideously expensive way to dive mix. What...$220, tops?

All the best, James

If you're wedded to the idea of dropping $1600+ for a computer, then the VR3 is the more versatile of the two you've mentioned.

but I'm with James...

Get your money back. Learn to dive with V-Planner and a bottom timer. Spend the remaining $1300 going on dive trips on the charter boats.

For diving off the eastern seaboard, anywhere around here from Ocean City, MD to Morehead City, NC you need a $1600+ computer like you need to carry a second snorkel for redundancy.

JMHO. YMMV.

Doc

Doc, I am totally with you on extra expenses. The D9 was a gift, i feel like the money has to go to a computer. I agree its not the best way to spend it, but its already done.

I come from the school of "buy your equipment once... if you can afford it". I purchased a Uwatec computer with Nitrox and deco for $199 since it was a floor model. I figured I could use if for the time being and then as a backup or let my bro/sis use it when I get the VR3. If I would have had to pay full price ($550) then I would have never bought it. I would have dove tables until I could afford the VR3. Well about 2 months ago, I bought the VR3 with gas analyzation (for analyzing gasses in my tanks) and I could not be happier. If you can afford it now, get the VR3 with gas analysis setup. You wont have to purchase a gas analyzer if you have the VR3 with analyzer. It may be overkill right now, but if you are going to do trimix and deco dives, then it will be perfect. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom