SmartCom IR not working SmartTrak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regdive

New
Reaction score
Hello !
I have big problems with the IR communication between SmartTrak and SmartCom.
It's not working: after a fiew seconds SmartTrak reports that there is not Uwatec computer connected. I already tried all hints I found in the WEB like stopping McAffee Virus scanner and placing the computer very close to the IR-Device. Nothing helps.
I found some settings in the IR driver like "Infrared Tranceiver Type" "Min. Turn-Around Time" and "Speed Enable". Can these settings have an influence ? I tried many settings, it didn't help. My Mobile Phone works fine with the IR-Device.
Can anyone please help to solve the problem ???
thank you
manfred

regdive:
I already tried all hints I found in the WEB like stopping McAffee Virus scanner

Did you just "stop" McAfee, or did you actually end the processes (you nee to go to Task Manager to do that)...

I, for one, scrapped McAfee and installed another antivirus. No more problems.

Good luck!

Alex

Hi !
Thank you for all the hints.
o) The SmartCom is switched on.
o) All Services and then all processes of McAffee are killed
o) I tried different IR speed settings.
o) I tried another IR adapter.
o) I tried on 3 different computer (W2k Sp4, W2k Wp3, XP)

Still the same problem :( :( :(

regards,
Manfred

Hi !
I tried it now with my Palm and the TravelTRAK SW.
Still no communication with the Smart Com.

I observed now that when I check the battery, which shows more than 80%, there
is also displayed the Service Symbol ????!!!!
According to the manual the Service Symbol is only shown in case of low battery, what does this mean now ?

Can anyone please help me?

thank you

Manfred

I am the same set up and the same problem. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Make sure you have the log book in Smarttrak open and on log book, then turn on your dive computer. I know this sounds low tech but it made a difference for mine.

regdive:
Hi !
I tried it now with my Palm and the TravelTRAK SW.
Still no communication with the Smart Com.

I observed now that when I check the battery, which shows more than 80%, there
is also displayed the Service Symbol ????!!!!
According to the manual the Service Symbol is only shown in case of low battery, what does this mean now ?

Can anyone please help me?

thank you

Manfred

That's weird...

I would contact Scubapro/Uwatec's support people... It may be something wrong with the unit, perhaps.

Good luck!!

Alex

If you bought it from an authorized Scubapro dealer, just contact them and send it in... They'll probably just send you a new one.

I use my SmartCom with the IR port on my laptop (running XPSP2). I find it to be pretty finicky in general but always ultimately get the data across. It usually takes a few tries and some juggling of the laptop and device to get them close enough, lined up enough, etc. I even have to turn the SmartCom on again (it seems to power off somewhere along the way) and then it ultimately starts working. I haven't tried fooling with the baud rate or any other settings but I suppose it could help. I hold mine really close to the IR port on the laptop (a couple inches) and make sure they are well aligned horizontally/vertically and that seems to help.

The fact you are seeing the service icon could explain the issue though. Maybe its internal diagnostic found some problem that impacts the IR port. I suspect they use it for more than just the battery level.

I agree with the others, get it in to a dealer or Scubapro. Aside from not being able to get your data, I'd be a bit nervous to dive with a computer that had the service indicator on...

I have had problems with the IR, but only until I realized that the IR ports need to be like 1/4 - 1/2 inch away from each other. Now it works every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom