New computer advice. Suunto D9 maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teodoro

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I'm thinking about getting a dive computer and I was almost set for the D9 from Suunto. However I haowever, I just found out about the VT3 and Atom compters from Oceanic and I really like the idea of being able to track my wife's air pressure from a second transmitter.

Placing all price considerations apart, what do you guys think between these three models.

Thanks for your advice

Suunto D9 has had a recall in 2004 and another in 2006, both for software defects that cause readings to be overly liberal. This means it violates the algorithm, and could falsely lead you to believe that you are not in a decompression situation when you really are.

This speaks very poorly of their software quality and even worse of their testing which should have caught it before being released.

Thanks for your input guys. How does the VT3 compare to the Atom? I think they are just the same the only difference being the size of the display and the watch functions.

regards,

The Atom 2.0 has the same capabilities, only it's too small for these old eyes to read at depth. :D

I saw two people with these out at the lake last weekend. They were the first I'd seen with these new units, I noticed them because I've been looking at a VT3. Unfortunately both units had problems. The one flooded which is obviously pretty bad for a new unit. The other had to have it's battery in the transmitter replaced. For 2 brand new units to have problems like that worries me a little. I'm not ready to write off either Oceanic or the VT3 but I'm going to wait until I hear from more people. It's possible this was just a coincidence. Heck another in our group had their SPG flood, not a good weekend for equipment failure. This shouldn't be construed as an Oceanic bashing post, I dive a versa pro and I love it so I'm willing to wait to see how other units work out.

The flood problems were probally due to new equipment curiosity. I know when I got my VT3 I took the battery out... just to mask sure I know how later. From replacing batteries on my old Pro Plus, I know to relube and inspect the seal. I think the VT3 is a very well thought out comp that takes almost 10 years of solid technology to make perfection. This has some new bells and whistles to even wet your appetite even more. Finally look at the posts in the Q&A and see how Oceanic has two devoted employees that constantly monitor their forum on SB. Give them a call and you'll see how nice and professional they are. GL and choose the VT3 IMHO.

I agree... I did the SAME thing and lubed the O-Ring. No floods. The manual tells you to do this. I love mine.

NetDoc:
My review on the VT3
BTW, I now have a Cobra for sale. :D

I have been looking at the Cobra - do you still have it?
how much do you want for it? Did you get the VT3 because
you didn't like the Cobra?

not sure if I am going to buy one anytime soon but just thought I would ask...
thanks!

Oh I still have it. I would want to pull the last of my info off and wipe the dive memory again (that would be about the third time) before I let it go. All my student gear is Oceanic(Veo 250s), and that played a huge role in wanting the VT3.

Back
Top Bottom