Suunto Vyper vs. Cressi Archimedes 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaufdropp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any opinions about these computers? i am looking at those 2 as optoions,

The Vyper is a great rec dive comp. Some of its advantages include a easy to read display, great backlight, and dive simulation and dive plan features. You can change the battery yourself as well.

Suuntos have a great reputation (except maybe their PC to dive comp software). I had a Vyper for two years and loved it.

Cheers.

-J.-

I can't speak to the Cressi, but have you considered a Gekko in place of a Vyper? If you don't need/use gauge mode, then the Gekko has all the features of the Vyper (including PC download) other than a backlight (which isn't needed; it's easier to shine your light at the computer than push the button, at least with 5mm gloves). Would save you at least $100.

I have recently bought the Cressi and had the Suunto before that.

The Suunto is IMO the better unit in terms of reliablity. However the Vyper is a single gas model and the Cressi a two gas model. A direct comparison is unfair therefore. The Vytec is the comparable Suunto model.

The Cressi is a Seiko unit made in Japan and the Seiko series have had problems in the past. In particular the early Nitek Duo and Apeks Quantum models have been highly unreliable. The Cressi is the best of the Seiko models as far as I can see and for the price is acceptable, its software is better than the other Seikos and allows 1.6 PPO2 on back gas unlike the others.

The Suunto has a slow ascent rate feature (marketed as "RGBM" although it isn't anything like true RGBM by any means). This is something I like if you rely on the computer without really understanding the algorithm and the science behind it. (It is still all too possible to get bent with this model if you don't understand current deco theory).

The Cressi is a straight ZHL computer and should be treated as such.

I think the final decision depends on what type of diving you do and how well you understand decompression theory. Although I have the Cressi I would tend to suggest the Suunto is better for most divers. I have had bad experiences with the other Seiko models but this one is OK so far. I might change my mind after 100 dives or so on it, ask me again at xmas!!

Chris

Some quick posts there!! The battery is user-changable on the Cressi also

johnny_bravo:
The Vyper is a great rec dive comp. Some of its advantages include a easy to read display, great backlight, and dive simulation and dive plan features. You can change the battery yourself as well.

Suuntos have a great reputation (except maybe their PC to dive comp software). I had a Vyper for two years and loved it.

Cheers.

-J.-

To add to what has already been said...

Buddy has Vyper, I have Archimedes II. Neither of us does any high-impact dives, and both have find the puters quite adequate for rec diving (we swap, so have both used each others). We agree that display on Archimedes is visually easier/clearer but both are easy to read and operate. Since we dive a lot in thermoclines we both like the Vyper for the fact that it shows temperature on the first screen (without need of toggling), Archimedes does not. Absolutely positive to Vyper is that DSS makes a bungee mount for it.

In our type of dives, conservatism has not come into question. I dive the Arch in most conservative setting (5 options), so maybe that's why. We dive conservative I guess, so... I like the Vyper way better on ascents because Archimedes is very very fickle to arm movements during ascents, and constantly whines about speed even when you just lift the arm to look at the screen...

Archimedes has dive simulation, planning and backlighting too. Battery is user-changeable. Also, I do not recall about Vyper but I like Arch for the fact that even if you do not have computer interface you can get the dive 'profiles' directly from the computer. Not as a graph but as numbers, so you can run a dive in it's entirety right after a dive and see what happened.

Seiko has had some probs with their software though. Cressi was great with mine, I had to have mine replaced. Check if buying that you get the newest generation(s), and make sure you buy from authorized dealer in case you do get a lemon. I am not aware that Suunto has had these probs.

Suunto ... but go for the Vytec

a little over 500 for one with out the transmitter ... around 900 with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom