Digital Computer AND Analog Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it commonplace for someone who has a Digital Computer (which shows depth) to also use an Analog depth gauge as a backup?

Certainly sounds prudent but wouldn't you then want an analog backup of every instrument?

Sy

I dive solo a lot so I use a back up mini SPG and depth gauge but I also use two computers, one air integrated.

sytech:
Is it commonplace for someone who has a Digital Computer (which shows depth) to also use an Analog depth gauge as a backup?

Certainly sounds prudent but wouldn't you then want an analog backup of every instrument?

Sy

I use analog depth and pressure as a backup to my computer. It's a good idea.:D

Yes, because unfortunately digital instruments are not as reliable as analog ones.

I bought a hoseless air integrated computer with the intention of getting rid of my analog SPG. Somehow I have not got around to doing it. I did try to find some statistics on failure rates of computers compared to SPGs. But I did not get any data to make a decision.
Most experienced divers would advise carrying an analog back-up for digital instruments. I do not know if this advice comes out of bitter experience with failures or a tendency to not place much faith in anything electronic.

You are right. Using that logic you probably need to have redundancy for all digital instruments (including analog, in my opinion). But practically, other than the SPG, bottom timer and depth gauge what other instruments does one use in diving?

I am now considering buying a back-up AI hoseless computer to get rid of my analog SPG.

You dive Solo double setting is advantages for your safety concern
Diver Dennis:
I dive solo a lot so I use a back up mini SPG and depth gauge but I also use two computers, one air integrated.

I use a Tusa 343 console with IQ700 and a Citizen Aqualand with
analogue depth guage.

Both always agree to 1 ft so I am happy!

Aqualand watches are available cheap
on ebay and can be rechecked for about 40$
at Citizen.

computer can failure anytime backup is necessary.
I use analog depth and pressure as a backup tool.

miketsp:
Yes, because unfortunately digital instruments are not as reliable as analog ones.

Do you have any links to papers/reports/studies that have been
done that show this that I can read about?

--- bill

stangscuba98a:
I use analog depth and pressure as a backup to my computer. It's a good idea.:D

Suppose you were not using a computer but instead had a regular analog console. Would you have redundancies for that?

Seems a lot of people are skittish about the reliability of electronics underwater. I know I am but not sure why. Maybe battery failure, electronic interference etc.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom