Wrist Computer: Integrated AIR or separate SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see that wrist mounts seem to be far and away the favored form factor here...

I'm looking to "upgrade" from console to wrist mount for a number of reasons. However, I'm not sure I trust wireless AI... yet...

Question is... do those of you using wrist mount computers use the wireless AI, or do you use a hose-attached SPG?

I use both. You may have to buy another 1st stage to do it, like I did, but it's worth it.

This is really a matter of personal preference. I personally use an AI computer and I also have an SPG on a hose. I always check both of them to make sure that they are reading correctly. This is just my preference but I know several divers that use an AI Comp and rely solely on the readout. I guess this is fine but to me I like to be redundant to protect myself from Murphy's Law. Now that being said I have never had a problem "YET" with my AI system and I only know of one person to have a problem with his AI and it was counting the air pressure the wrong way and reading full when it was nearly empty and vice versa. Of course he noticed this before he ever dove with it. Other than that the only other problem that I have ever seen with different AI computers is that occasionally it will loose the signal from the transmitter.

The bottom line is that most of them are on the money accurate. But, it would really suck if you are down 130fsw or so and then learn that your AI computer is wrong.

I used to dive with a AI computer but I didn't use a transmitter (transmitter was opional) and went with a gauge. Some divers around me do. Most of them just simply go with the tansmitter while a few of them actually uses both with SPG for backup. In this case, you got to make sure your first stage has 2 HP port.

Have been diving with them for some time and never heard they complain about transmission reliability as yet.

Looks like I'm in the minority. I use AI only. Suits me and the type of diving I do. Might not be OK for others. Been doing it this way since the mid 90's with nary a problem (knock wood here). I'm a happy camper.

Alcina, just to be very sure are you using wireless air integrated or hosed air integrated?
I use wireless Air Integrated but also have a conventional SPG/Depth Gauge and am just waiting for an excuse to stop using the conventional.

I use both. I just like having the backup in case I forget to sync the AI before I take a dip or I walk away for some reason after I do the sync and don't resync it before I go.

I have read a lot of posts here that talk about syncing the AI. My experience with the AI that I am using has been that I have never had to specifically sync it. I just attach the first stage to the cylinder (with the transmitter) and I am ready to go. Once I am in the water I check to see the reading and it has never failed. However on my last couple of dives, towards the end of the dive when I was doing the safety stop, the link has been lost for a few seconds.

Matsya:
I have read a lot of posts here that talk about syncing the AI. My experience with the AI that I am using has been that I have never had to specifically sync it. I just attach the first stage to the cylinder (with the transmitter) and I am ready to go. Once I am in the water I check to see the reading and it has never failed. However on my last couple of dives, towards the end of the dive when I was doing the safety stop, the link has been lost for a few seconds.

...and therein lies my concern...

It's not the thousand dives that it works flawlessly... it's the 1 at 130fsw, as Bowtie mentioned, that it goes belly up... (I'm big on contingency). However, glad to see it's a performer for those of you that use it...

Packhorse:
Why have AI wireless if you cant trust it?

...actually, it's more the wrist-based form factor that I'm interested in from an ascent, safety stop countdown, and depth perspective. The AI is incidental (it just happens to exist on the wrist-based).

...I appreciate the comebacks... thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom